PLEASE NOTE: We are aware of an issue with SoundCloud functionality. This functionality is not currently working. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Visualise, in real time, the frequencies that you can hear around you and even those you cannot. SpectrumView provides a high-quality, real-time spectrogram and spectrum analyser display, with a configurable sample rate and frequency resolution for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. You can use this application to measure the highest tones you can sing, obtain visual feedback of the frequencies in your speech, identify an annoying sound, calibrate musical instruments and all sorts of acoustic analysis.
· Refresh Spectrogram. Allows users to refresh the spectrogram so that it clears the spectrogram that had already been displayed.
· Change min and max scale. Allows users to set their own minimum and maximum scale value on the spectrogram and spectrum analyser view, in both linear and log scale.
· Set Recording filename. Recording filenames are editable and the suffix can be set to have an incremental value or date/time.
· Access recordings and snapshots using the "Files" app. To ease the complicated process of accessing recordings and data snapshots using iTunes, all the data can be easily accessible using the "Files" app that is available from iOS 11.
· Web File Transfer. Allows you to access your files from another device using a web browser.
· Logarithmic scale. Allows you to set either linear or logarithmic frequency scales in the Spectrogram and Spectrum Analyser views
· Peak hold. Allows you to freeze and hold the peaks of the frequency envelope (three holds in three distinct colours) in Spectrum Analyser mode
· Save location. Never forget where a clip was recorded – uses the devices location services
· Auto lock disabled. During playback and recordings auto lock is disabled to prevent the device from automatically locking (if enabled), for uninterrupted recording/playback
· Multiple selectable sample rates from 8,000 Hz to 48,000 Hz
· High-frequency resolution with configurable signal analysis window lengths or Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) orders.
· Sound intensity represented using a colour spectrum scale from -96 dBFS to 0 dBFS.
· Frequency Pinch-to-Zoom. Allows you to zoom into the frequency space to look at a specific tone or frequency.
· Recording and Playback of Audio Files. Provides a fully functional audio recorder that allows you to record, pause and play back files in high-quality, uncompressed, wave format.
· Tap Data Cursor. Allows taps on any part of the Spectrogram or Spectrum Analyser display to obtain the exact frequency in Hertz (Hz) and level in decibels (dB) at that point.
· Musical Notes or Frequency Display on Tap. Selectable frequency or musical pitch notation to obtain the cent-accurate musical note e.g. A4 (22), when the display is tapped.
· Live Spectrogram and Spectrum Analyser Views of Recorded Files. Files recorded can be played back and the Spectrogram and Spectrum Analyser modes can be used to review the audio.
· Sharing Recorded Files by Email or iTunes File-sharing.
· High Quality Screenshots.
· Soundcloud support. Audio files can be uploaded to or downloaded from Soundcloud as well as being able to post audio to Facebook.
· Playback from iTunes library. Files can now be analysed directly form the iTunes library.
· Fullscreen mode. Hide the menu at the bottom of the screen to get even more of the screen dedicated to frequency analysis.
· Selectable spectrogram colour scales. You can now select one of 7 colour scales for your spectrogram.
· Selectable window functions. You can now see the window function options provided.
· Apply gain. A maximum of 24dB gain can be applied to make ‘hard to see’ details easier to view.
· Open In. Audio files can be directly opened in SpectrumView. View files sent by email directly in SpectrumView.
SpectrumView Plus 2.4.1 (2.4.18) Update
* Fixes bug which caused audio imported from iTunes library to play at high speed
Ratings and Reviews
My issue is why won’t the grid lines STAY OFF
It saves every setting I put in place through even restarts but it turns the grid lines on SPECIFICALLY, and CONSTANTLY, to a point where I’m wondering if it’s my phone glitching or the app, cause it’s not me, I would have accidentally pressed any other button in settings by now, but it’s just always the grid lines and I always find myself turning them off- BUT, that’s my only issue with the app, so if you like grid lines this may be a five star review for you.
Great app, and glad to give the author some money
The original, free SpectrumView was an eye-opener about the way a device like the iPhone could change the landscape of tools: quite unexpectedly, and without spending a cent, I suddenly had in my hand a fair equivalent of a kilo-buck spectrum analyzer; a tool I’d needed from time-to-time over the years, but “knew” I’d never own, or even have access to.
It’s been great that the author(s) have continued to support the tool over the years, and, at some stage, even began extending it. I’m glad to have a number of those extensions, and, in this “Plus” version, to obtain them without the hassle of in-app purchases. Also, after so many years, I’m happy to put some money in the author’s pocket for all that work.
(As to the reviewer who stated that the app has an 8 kHz frequency limit: go to settings and pick an audio sampling rate twice that of the maximum frequency of interest; even my iPhone 5s has no problem reaching 24 kHz. Whether the iPhone microphone is responsive to such frequencies, and equally responsive across whatever frequency range it does handle, is another matter, but that’s what external mics are for.)
Crashes on playback
The app crashes when I try to play an iTunes song.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Oxford Wave Research Ltd.
- 15.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © (C) 2021 Oxford Wave Research Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.