You'll love Speech Central because it has both the best feature set among text-to-speech apps and the best pricing among high quality voice reader apps on the Store. To no surprise it is the most popular choice among the Mac users in this category. Here are just some of our outstanding features:
◦ The best PDF support in text to speech apps - your reading flow will not be interrupted by footers, headers, footnotes and long web links as they are detected by the advanced artificial intelligence in most cases. No other app has this feature. Even the scanned PDF documents are imported.
◦ The best web support in text to speech apps - for the first time you can listen everything as both articles and headlines (including RSS feeds) are supported. Articles can be added from the headlines page for fully uninterrupted flow. And you can send articles from any browser with the Pocket extension.
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats.
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in.
◦ The widest choice of options to customize the voice, appearance and various other parameters
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ Sync playlist across Apple devices including with the iOS app and the current position in the text.
◦ The widest selection of keyboard shortcuts to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with dozens of languages that have text-to-speech support on the device with automatic language detection from the content.
◦ Export the text to the audio file.
◦ The app is tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
◦ Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content. Even when the syncing is enabled.
With over 20,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
Reinvent your life, if you are busy cut the time you spend in front of the screen and listen to the news articles, documents and e-books while you are doing housework or even commuting and jogging (by using the audio files).
The app can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments (eyesight problems) and disabilities like dyslexia.
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .mhtml, .webarchive, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
Don't forget to check Speech Central for iOS - you can listen items imported from the Mac for free.
You may consider to buy Labsii Suite on the Mac App Store where for slightly higher price you get the license for all 4 of our apps in the Store.
- Some features are available only on the latest version of the operating system.
- The license is valid only for this operating system. Other operating systems have separate licenses.
- macOS High Sierra 13.6 contains the bug that prevents the app to create the longer audio files (it doesn't affect the reading just the option to create audio files). Other versions of macOS don't have this problem.
- DRM protected books (e.g. Kindle books) are locked to their respective vendor apps and cannot be imported into the app.
- For languages other than English the support is provided using the auto-translation tools
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best text to speech apps I've used. My favorite feature is the little bar that follows the text (helps so much with concentration). My only complaints are 1) limited options for speech rate (1.5x,2x,3x etc instead of words per minute) and 2) doesn't allow you to copy and paste from the window to take notes in another app. I also wish the playback was a bit more exact. Instead of jumping to the next paragraph I wish it would have an option to replay the last sentence, or even let you click on a point in the paragraph for it to start at, rather than having to start the whole paragraph over.
Great for reading .pdf documents quickly
I have tried a few of these programs and found this one to work the best. I am a graduate student and use this to read .pdfs at double speed to help me push through a great volume of reading more quickly. What is useful about this app, compared to simply using the Apple Accesibility Speech function, is the playback back controlls which allow me to easily pause, go back to a section, or skip ahead. Also, when encountering issues with an earlier version, I found the developer helpful and responsive in trying to work through issues (which have been corrected in the most recent version).
Developer Response ,
Thanks for updating the review.
Very Helpful but...
Overall, I enjoy this app. It allows me to listen to school lessons while driving or completing other activiies that preclude me from actually reading. That said, there are often glitches in that sentences are often jumbled togetger or paragraphs are out of order.
Also, I paid for the app but only receive the paid benefits on one device. It's unnerving to think I'd have to pay for the app on several devices.
Developer Response ,
Regarding the possible glitches they can technically happen in the PDF files as those files were designed to be optimized for printing and not for the text flow. The app does many things to correct those flaws and to my best knowledge it delivers better results than competing apps, but I cannot say exactly no flaws in all possible documents one can think of, so your review is correct.
The app is not limited to a single device (please correct that), but the license is limited to one platform (so e.g. iOS and macOS are separate licenses, the information is listed in the app store page). The price is made with that in mind and it is very competitive, if the license was cross platform it would cost more. I do understand that some people would prefer to pay something like 12$ to get one license for both iOS and macOS (how much the combined license would probably cost), but the number of people that would prefer to pay less and have just one platform is higher at the moment and I had to accommodate offer to majority. Thanks for your understanding of my position.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- LABSII DOO BEOGRAD
- 39.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- Copyright © 2014-2022 Labsii Llc. All rights reserved
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.