You'll love Speech Central because it has both the best feature set among text-to-speech apps and the best pricing among high quality voice reader apps on the Store. To no surprise it is the most popular choice among the Mac users in this category. Here are just some of our outstanding features:
◦ The best PDF support in text to speech apps - your reading flow will not be interrupted by footers, headers, footnotes and long web links as they are detected by the advanced artificial intelligence in most cases. No other app has this feature. Even the scanned PDF documents are imported.
◦ The best web support in text to speech apps - for the first time you can listen everything as both articles and headlines (including RSS feeds) are supported. Articles can be added from the headlines page for fully uninterrupted flow. And you can send articles from any browser with the Pocket extension.
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats.
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in.
◦ The widest choice of options to customize the voice, appearance and various other parameters
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ Sync playlist across Apple devices including with the iOS app and the current position in the text.
◦ The widest selection of keyboard shortcuts to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with dozens of languages that have text-to-speech support on the device with automatic language detection from the content.
◦ Export the text to the audio file.
◦ The app is tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
◦ Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content. Even when the syncing is enabled.
With over 20,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
Reinvent your life, if you are busy cut the time you spend in front of the screen and listen to the news articles, documents and e-books while you are doing housework or even commuting and jogging (by using the audio files).
The app can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments (eyesight problems) and disabilities like dyslexia.
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .mhtml, .webarchive, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
Don't forget to check Speech Central for iOS - you can listen items imported from the Mac for free.
You may consider to buy Labsii Suite on the Mac App Store where for slightly higher price you get the license for all 4 of our apps in the Store.
- Some features are available only on the latest version of the operating system.
- The license is valid only for this operating system. Other operating systems have separate licenses.
- macOS High Sierra 13.6 contains the bug that prevents the app to create the longer audio files (it doesn't affect the reading just the option to create audio files). Other versions of macOS don't have this problem.
- DRM protected books (e.g. Kindle books) are locked to their respective vendor apps and cannot be imported into the app.
- For languages other than English the support is provided using the auto-translation tools
Ratings and Reviews
Acouple of issues...
I'm an IT pro (All Apple since 1982) and for the past 3 decades a novelist as well. On my previous MBP I used GhostReader Plus with high quality voices from Acapela Group. Unfortunately, that program is discontinued and the version I have does not work properly in Ventura.
My question/complaint/issue is that GhostRead Pro understood the rules of punctuation, Speech Central: Text to Speech (S.C.T.S) has some issues in that area.
Comma’s seem to have a bit of a pause so I think they’re passably OK. Periods, Question Marks & Exclamation Points, not so much.
Periods represent a full stop: That is, a pause typically equal to the length of a full breath or a silent count of one or two. When reading aloud, that pause signals the end of a sentence. Unfortunately, S.C.T.S blows through periods faster than a teenager on a back county road.
For timing, Question Marks should have a pause similar to a period. Additionally, a rise in intonation indicates to the listener that a question has been asked.
Like periods, Exclamation points also indicate a pause in the reading and are sometimes accompanied by a change in tone to convey excitement or emphasis.
Not having these vocal cues can, and in a longer reading will, result in confusion for the listener. Listening is, after all, the reason for text to speech in the first place.
Other than those issues, the program seems pretty solid. If they get resolved, it’s a solid 5 stars in my book.
One of the best text to speech apps I've used. My favorite feature is the little bar that follows the text (helps so much with concentration). My only complaints are 1) limited options for speech rate (1.5x,2x,3x etc instead of words per minute) and 2) doesn't allow you to copy and paste from the window to take notes in another app. I also wish the playback was a bit more exact. Instead of jumping to the next paragraph I wish it would have an option to replay the last sentence, or even let you click on a point in the paragraph for it to start at, rather than having to start the whole paragraph over.
Great for reading .pdf documents quickly
I have tried a few of these programs and found this one to work the best. I am a graduate student and use this to read .pdfs at double speed to help me push through a great volume of reading more quickly. What is useful about this app, compared to simply using the Apple Accesibility Speech function, is the playback back controlls which allow me to easily pause, go back to a section, or skip ahead. Also, when encountering issues with an earlier version, I found the developer helpful and responsive in trying to work through issues (which have been corrected in the most recent version).
Developer Response ,
Thanks for updating the review.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- LABSII DOO BEOGRAD
- 37.5 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2014-2023 Labsii Llc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.