Improve Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary
This app is designed for students of our Premium Members. Visit our website to sign up today.
More About VocabularySpellingCity
VocabularySpellingCity is a research-proven tool that helps teachers and parents meet the challenge of providing meaningful, intentional, and extended vocabulary practice for students while improving fluency and retention.
Parents, schools and districts across the country and the world continue to use VocabularySpellingCity to improve vocabulary retention and reading comprehension.
With 35+ interactive word games and thousands of pre-made word lists, our app helps build literacy skills in a fun and engaging way!
With each game, students can see, hear, speak, write, break down, and play with words including high frequency words, developmental spelling words, and vocabulary. This helps students strengthen their literacy skills in an effective and long-lasting way.
*Access to the full features of this app is limited to VocabularySpellingCity Premium Members. To go Premium, visit our website: www.spellingcity.com
Keeping up, catching up, or getting ahead in vocabulary retention and comprehension can be fun and easy! Rather than memorizing flashcards or reading textbooks, our specially designed games offer a wide variety of interactive ways to improve literacy skills.
STUDENTS catch up, keep up, and stay ahead on your literacy skills at school, at home, or on-the-go.
PARENTS help kids develop effective reading skills, which are key for success in school (and in life)!
TEACHERS help students continue their learning and review material in or out of the classroom.
The 35+ interactive games and activities let students learn and retain words more effectively through:
• The games provide diverse and repeated opportunities to encounter new words, greatly aiding in retention.
• With voice recordings, interactive sound boxes, animations, syllable activities and contextual sentences, these games create a rich learning experience for students.
• Students can create and save review lists and pair them with different games for continued repeated practice for greater retention.
• Our ready-made word lists support literature, academic vocabulary, content area vocabulary, and informational texts from the CCSS. Studying with these targeted lists can improve student performance across all aspects of their academic career.
• Our self-testing activities give students this opportunity, while also helping them identify gaps in their knowledge, so that they can prepare for school evaluations and be sure to master the material.
• 9 free spelling, vocabulary, reading and phonics games
• Pre-made and customized word lists
• 35+ games with a Premium Membership
• Automatic tracking and progress reports with a Premium Membership
When you go Premium, you gain access to all 35+ vocabulary, spelling, phonics and writing activities, as well as student records and assignments. Visit our website, at www.spellingcity.com, to learn more.
Since our founding in 2008, we have received numerous awards for our website and app, including the 2017 and 2016 SIIA CODiE award in the “Best Game-Based Curriculum Solution” category. We have also ranked among Homeschool.com’s Top 100 Educational Websites every year since 2009.
• New games (Rhyme & Climb, Word Counter, Sound Counter, Which Letter Team?, Sort It Out: Vowels, Vocabulary Memory Match)
• Ability to save progress on letter-by-letter games
• Support for settings applied by the teacher via the website:
• Restricting access to games outside of assignments
• Choosing Australian or British accent
• Limiting the activity categories students can access
• Various bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Issues with the app
My daughter’s school provides Spelling City for their students. It has been very helpful as a learning tool for my daughter, much more effective than when we used to have her write out her words and test her on them. The games seem to help because she sees the words more frequently as she interacts with them, which I think helps her remember them.
However, we have had some issues with the iPad app that have been very frustrating. Her list last week was contractions, and when she played games that required her to type in the word, it never accepted her apostrophes. She was very frustrated and confused and I had to assure her that she was spelling her words correctly. Additionally, when playing Sound It Out, if a word has multiples of the same letter, it will say she spelled the word wrong if she doesn’t pick the right letter block. Really, any block that represents the same letter should work.
Please fix these issues!
Technical Glitches & Premium Fees
We have been using this app for several years and it has been an excellent tool. Suddenly it has become very glitchy on our iOs Devices (multiple) despite running updates and deleting/reinstalling the app. I started to wonder if it had to do with all the sudden complaints about the newly added premium membership fees to stuents. I called customer service (via their website) and someone answered right away. He was extremely helpful and clarified that (at least in our case) the school covers the student's "Premium", thus it is still free for my student to access the spelling lists created by her teacher. I'll admit this is confusing as on the student login it does say "For premium members only" which is misleading. If your child's teacher gave them a user name and password, your school is most likely covering the premium fee on behalf of the student. Now, the glitches we're having are still a probem, but at least I konw they are unrelated to all the complaints about the premium membership. I have subbmitted feedback on the techincal difficulties/behaviours we are having, so I'm hopeful they'll get resolved. Other than that, great app and tool for my daughter, and I'm thankful our school covers the premium fee.
I love this app
I used this app while homeschooling 3 of my children. At first I didn’t really understand how valuable Spelling City was, but I found some videos on the website on how to use it. I had purchased vocabulary books for my children to use according to their vocabulary level. I used the vocabulary list from each chapter in the books to create my list on spelling city.
Once this was done the kids could learn their words, practice writing their words, and do learning activities with their words for the week. I also gave them spelling test to see what they learn, and to see what they needed to work on. Once you learn a thing as a parent you can help your children! I have one homeschool graduate she’s 24 now. Thank you so much Spelling City for being apart of my homeschooling adventure.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.