SPIEGEL ONLINE's improved iOS app: read Germany’s premier news source on your iPhone, your iPad or Apple Watch! Our app provides you with instant access to all the daily news, analysis, opinion, features and interviews on offer from SPIEGEL ONLINE's 150-member editorial team.
Now, we've thoroughly revamped our premium section SPIEGEL+ for you. You'll now find significantly more premium articles each week, including, for the first time, almost all texts from the weekly SPIEGEL magazine. Still, the number of for-free articles will remain the same. We hope you like the deal!
Also, SPIEGEL+ has received a facelift with clearer typography and bigger photos to improve your reading experience.
Finally, and this is a first, too, you can now buy a SPIEGEL+ subscription directly in this app through convenient in-app purchases. If you also sign up for a SPIEGEL account, which we encourage and will not entail extra costs, you can read SPIEGEL+ articles on other devices and on SPIEGEL ONLINE's web site.
Please note that this app's navigation and content are in German.
We hope you like the new look and are looking forward to hearing your feedback! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to rate our app here in Apple's App Store.
Here’s what you get in more detail:
* More than 100 news articles, features and analyses each day from the worlds of politics, business, sports and more. In addition, you get all our opinion pieces and blogs.
* Receive our SPIEGEL Daily evening update every weekday around 5 pm to keep abreast of the news stories that really matter.
* All our videos and photo galleries.
* Access to reader comments in our forum and the ability to post comments yourself.
* Thanks to Pack&Go, you can download articles to read them later when your mobile device is offline.
* Browse through the most popular, most recent or most important stories with our new Apple watch app extension.
* SPIEGEL+ is processed and paid via your iTunes account. 24 hours before expiration, the subscription is automatically renewaled by one month for the price of currently € 19.99. You can cancel the subscription at any time in your iTunes account setting.
In addition to our 'breaking news' push notifications, we have added alerts for your favorite sections like politics, business, sports, culture etc. Activate those notifications by tapping on the exclamation mark icon in the top navigation bar. You will then receive push notifications alerting you to major developments or remarkable articles in that particular section. You can just as easily unsubscribe from this service.
We hope you enjoy using our app and reading our content!
Your SPIEGEL ONLINE editorial team
With this update we have updated the video player.
Ratings and Reviews
Using (reading) it several times a day.
Especially in these dark days in the US, this app gives me the look from the outside in.
Unfortunately, the most recent version doesn’t load the whole front page again after I read an article or two. Please fix it!
The app needs some work - recent updates broke the video function
I have two issues with this app.
1.the video function is broken, it always auto plays the next video and there seems to be no way to stop it. Also often the video does not allow me to close it, if I missed stopping it just before the end of the original video. Sometimes two videos would open on top of each other making the sound very eerie. It makes the app unpleasant to use.
2. I am a subscribed user and the paid content requires me to sign in again and click through several layers of links before I can read. If one is a signed in user for paid content, one should just be able to read it, without leaving the app and signing in again through the website.
Both of these items are in acceptable for paid customers.
Lastly, some videos have 30 second advertisement that cannot be skipped, just to lead to a 10 second video clip I can see on you tube as well. This is less an app function as it is bad content Managment. Paid customers should not have to go through this much pain.
I am pretty disappointed.
I go to Spiegel Online first when I have a few minutes to read the news. Good headline news coverage as well as more in-depth articles and opinion pieces.
- SPIEGEL ONLINE GmbH
- 48.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © SPIEGEL ONLINE 2011-2018
- In-App Purchases
- SPIEGEL+ Monatsabo $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.