This is a major new version of Spillo and it requires Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite or later.
• Local bookmarks: Spillo no longer requires you to have a Pinboard account, just create a local account to store your bookmarks locally on your machine
• Multiple accounts: you can now use multiple Pinboard (or local) accounts on the same machine. Switching account is also super easy
• Background mode: you can now decide to run Spillo in the background. The main UI and Dock icon will not be visible but you will still be able to search and create bookmarks (either via keyboard shortcuts or by using the menu icon)
• Global search: search your bookmarks from anywhere by bringing the new global search box, even when Spillo is in the background
• Dynamic bookmark description height: if you choose to show the bookmark description in the list, the cell will automatically resize if the bookmark doesn’t have a description
• New popover to select suggested tags: when creating or editing a bookmark, suggested tags are now presented in a popover that lets you select multiple tags at once
Ratings and Reviews
Buggy as hell, would be great otherwise
I have it installed on two machines. One doesn’t stay up to date with my Pinboard account, the other asks to reauthenticate with nearly every sync. Oh, and the dev doesn’t respond to support requests, at least not promptly. If the app worked as advertised, it would be great, because it is a great way to access Pinboard.
Perfect functionality but flakey
I wasted way too much effort trying to find a cheaper way to use Pinboard from my MacBooks. Spillo is not perfect, but it is by far the best tool for this.
But it is constantly “forgetting” my authentication (using either credentials or an API key) and asking me to enter everything anew. It must be related to my Pinboard account because every Mac I use (on different networks) has the same behavior.
The developer has not responded to a support request, but if this regular interruption on my desktop can be resolved I will be a happy user indeed.
Awesome [Not anymore…]
Update: April 2018. I’ve reduced my review to 3 stars, from 5. The app hasn’t been updated since spring of 2017, and there are increasing problems with syncing and connecting… seems to be becoming less stable. I real shame the developer seems to have abandoned it (judging by the most recent review in Nov. 2017).
Awesome app, can’t imagine anything better. I limped along for ages with a series of apps frankensteined together but the combination of Spillo and a Spillo browser extension is unbeatable. Makes working with Pinboard effortless…
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.