Splitwise is the easiest way to share expenses with friends and family and stop stressing about “who owes who”. Millions of people around the world use Splitwise to organize group bills for households, trips, and more. Our mission is to reduce the stress and awkwardness that money places on our most important relationships.
Splitwise is great for:
- Roommates splitting rent and apartment bills
- Group trips around the world
- Splitting a vacation house for skiing or at the beach
- Weddings and bachelor/bachelorette parties
- Couples sharing relationship costs
- Friends and co-workers who go out to lunch or dinner together frequently
- Loans and IOUS between friends
- And so much more
Splitwise is simple to use:
- Create groups or private friendships for any splitting situation
- Add expenses, IOUs, or informal debts in any currency, with support for offline entry
- Expenses are backed up online so everyone can log in, view their balances, and add expenses
- Keep track of who should pay next, or settle up by recording cash payments or using our integrations
We also have powerful features that can handle almost any money sharing situation. Here are some of our industry-leading features:
- Multi-platform support for smartphones and web
- Simplify debts into the easiest repayment plan
- Expense categorization
- Calculate group totals
- Export to CSV
- Comment directly on expenses
- Split expenses equally or unequally by percentages, shares, or exact amounts
- Add informal debts and IOUs
- Create bills that reccur monthly, weekly, yearly, fortnightly
- Add multiple payers on a single expense
- See total balances with a person across multiple groups and private expenses
- Custom user avatars
- Cover photos for groups
- Activity feed and push notifications help you stay on top of changes
- View your edit history for changes to an expense
- Any deleted group or bill can be restored easily
- World-class customer support
- Pay back using our integrated payments: Venmo and PayPal (US only), Paytm (India only)
- 100+ currencies and growing
- 7+ supported languages
“Makes it easy to split everything from your dinner bill to rent.” - NY Times
"Fundamental for tracking finances. As good as WhatsApp for containing awkwardness." – The Financial Times
“I never fight with roommates over bills because of this genius expense-splitting app”- Business Insider
“The Single Best App You Can Download for Group Trips of Any Kind” - Thrillist
“Life Changing! I don’t review many things, but this app has seriously improved my quality of life. It has saved my sanity when it comes to splitting utilities, mortgage, groceries, dog expenses...the list goes on. No more saving receipts, making spreadsheets, and manually calculating each month. So handy for group trips/weekends, too! THANK YOU!!” – Courtney via the App Store
We offer in-app purchases for “Splitwise Pro”, the benefits of which are described below. The subscription amount will be charged to your App Store account and will vary by plan and country. You’ll see the total price before completing your first payment. If you don’t choose to purchase “Splitwise Pro”, you can continue using Splitwise for free.
Premium Subscription Service “Splitwise Pro”:
1. Store high-resolution receipts in the cloud (10GB cloud storage)
2. OCR integration for scanning and itemizing receipts
3. Backups to JSON, downloadable from our website
4. Convert expenses to different currencies using our Open Exchange Rates integration
5. Access to “spending by category” budgeting tools and other charts
6. Search full expense history
“Splitwise Pro” subscriptions purchased in-app renew monthly or yearly depending on your plan. Plan pricing may vary by country. To avoid renewal, you must turn off auto-renew at least 24 hours before your subscription ends. You can turn off auto-renew at any time by visiting the App Store.
We completely redesigned the app. Highlights include:
- A beautiful, modern interface
- Easier to add expenses and connect with friends
- Cover photos for groups
- Lightweight budgeting tools
- Significant performance improvements
Additionally, we're thrilled to announce our premium service Splitwise Pro. Upgrade to unlock:
- Receipt scanning with itemization (OCR)
- Currency conversion
- Expense search
- Default splits for groups (eg. always 60% 40%)
- An ad-free experience
You can upgrade to Splitwise Pro by visiting the Account tab.
Our mission is to protect your most important relationships from money stress. If you have feedback on how we’re doing or need assistance, please email email@example.com to get in touch. We’d love to hear from you.
Ratings and Reviews
Only partial Spanish functionality?
We use the Splitwise app among roommates in Ecuador, in general love it. We love that the expenditures added will auto-load little icons when the words are recognizable like “gas”, “electric”, and “water”, but what would be so hard about having that feature in Spanish too? It really does make it visually easier to keep track, so I’d just love to see y’all make the same thing function for words like “luz”, “agua”, “arriendo”, “combustible” - terms that are consistent enough throughout Spanish-speaking countries (and Spanish speakers w/in the US) that they’d be easy enough for a user to figure out. I mean, if you already have the rest of the app and its features available in Spanish, why not that last little detail? 🤔 We wish we didn’t have to put things on the ledger in English all the time for the helpful icons to appear, because it feels snobbish and exclusionary of our housemates who are not Spanish-English bilingual.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry our category guesser doesn't yet recognize the Spanish words you and your friends are using. For now you can always manually set the category of an expense by tapping on the category icon and choosing from the list of categories. ~firstname.lastname@example.org
Great app! But my friends can’t handle the minimize transactions setting.
I recently tried Splitwise for the first time for a trip with a group of friends. Some friends wouldn’t log into Splitwise. Some friends wouldn’t check their emails. And a couple of friends couldn’t understand how everyone could be settled up if they didn’t pay back the person who originally paid for a specific item. Guys, Splitwise tells you how to settle up to reduce transactions so that everyone comes out the same. Minds were blown. I could literally sense that smoke was about to come out of their ears. Of course, it would have helped if they logged into the app, or checked their email or paid attention by the 2nd or 3rd or 5th time I told them, “Guys, open Splitwise! It literally breaks it all down for you!” Minimum transactions are not for the faint of heart.
Bottom line: Splitwise is great! But after that trip, I may have lost a little bit of faith in the human race.
Needs a tweak
I use this app for tracking bills in a multi family home. It helps me a lot ! but what I would like to see is for example in a group, if it says Mary owes $100, I would like to know what EXACTLY $100 is owed in (such as a utility, cable, etc). It doesn’t show specifics once you put the bill in, just the total amount owed. Also, I would like the option of the user disappearing off the owed bill once they have paid. This would make it SO much easier to keep track of who paid what, instead of me typing in a note every time when a payment submitted as to what bill the payment is applied for. Thanks for reading for my suggestion. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong and these options already exist. - Jennifer
- Splitwise, Inc.
- 72.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Splitwise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Splitwise Pro $2.99
- Splitwise Pro $2.99
- Splitwise Pro $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.