Splitwise is the easiest way to share expenses with friends and family and stop stressing about “who owes who”. Millions of people around the world use Splitwise to organize group bills for households, trips, and more. Our mission is to reduce the stress and awkwardness that money places on our most important relationships.
Splitwise is great for:
- Roommates splitting rent and apartment bills
- Group trips around the world
- Splitting a vacation house for skiing or at the beach
- Weddings and bachelor/bachelorette parties
- Couples sharing relationship costs
- Friends and co-workers who go out to lunch or dinner together frequently
- Loans and IOUS between friends
- And so much more
Splitwise is simple to use:
- Create groups or private friendships for any splitting situation
- Add expenses, IOUs, or informal debts in any currency, with support for offline entry
- Expenses are backed up online so everyone can log in, view their balances, and add expenses
- Keep track of who should pay next, or settle up by recording cash payments or using our integrations
We also have powerful features that can handle almost any money sharing situation. Here are some of our industry-leading features:
- Multi-platform support for smartphones and web
- Simplify debts into the easiest repayment plan
- Expense categorization
- Calculate group totals
- Export to CSV
- Comment directly on expenses
- Split expenses equally or unequally by percentages, shares, or exact amounts
- Add informal debts and IOUs
- Create bills that reccur monthly, weekly, yearly, fortnightly
- Add multiple payers on a single expense
- See total balances with a person across multiple groups and private expenses
- Custom user avatars
- Cover photos for groups
- Activity feed and push notifications help you stay on top of changes
- View your edit history for changes to an expense
- Any deleted group or bill can be restored easily
- World-class customer support
- Pay back using our integrated payments: Venmo and PayPal (US only), Paytm (India only)
- 100+ currencies and growing
- 7+ supported languages
“Makes it easy to split everything from your dinner bill to rent.” - NY Times
"Fundamental for tracking finances. As good as WhatsApp for containing awkwardness." – The Financial Times
“I never fight with roommates over bills because of this genius expense-splitting app”- Business Insider
“The Single Best App You Can Download for Group Trips of Any Kind” - Thrillist
“Life Changing! I don’t review many things, but this app has seriously improved my quality of life. It has saved my sanity when it comes to splitting utilities, mortgage, groceries, dog expenses...the list goes on. No more saving receipts, making spreadsheets, and manually calculating each month. So handy for group trips/weekends, too! THANK YOU!!” – Courtney via the App Store
We offer in-app purchases for “Splitwise Pro”, the benefits of which are described below. The subscription amount will be charged to your App Store account and will vary by plan and country. You’ll see the total price before completing your first payment. If you don’t choose to purchase “Splitwise Pro”, you can continue using Splitwise for free.
Premium Subscription Service “Splitwise Pro”:
1. Store high-resolution receipts in the cloud (10GB cloud storage)
2. OCR integration for scanning and itemizing receipts
3. Backups to JSON, downloadable from our website
4. Convert expenses to different currencies using our Open Exchange Rates integration
5. Access to “spending by category” budgeting tools and other charts
6. Search full expense history
“Splitwise Pro” subscriptions purchased in-app renew monthly or yearly depending on your plan. Plan pricing may vary by country. To avoid renewal, you must turn off auto-renew at least 24 hours before your subscription ends. You can turn off auto-renew at any time by visiting the App Store.
- Previously it was hard to transition from viewing a unique expense to viewing the group/friendship to which it belongs. We've updated "Expense details" to include a button which links you to the relevant group/friendship.
- Improved support for the VoiceOver screen reader.
- Fixed: Dates on the "Activity" tab didn't scale with Dynamic Type. That's been fixed.
- Fixed: A bug that created confusion for folks who're totally settled up on Splitwise. Now you should see "you're all settled up" throughout the app, instead of "you have no activity".
Ratings and Reviews
Only partial Spanish functionality?
We use the Splitwise app among roommates in Ecuador, in general love it. We love that the expenditures added will auto-load little icons when the words are recognizable like “gas”, “electric”, and “water”, but what would be so hard about having that feature in Spanish too? It really does make it visually easier to keep track, so I’d just love to see y’all make the same thing function for words like “luz”, “agua”, “arriendo”, “combustible” - terms that are consistent enough throughout Spanish-speaking countries (and Spanish speakers w/in the US) that they’d be easy enough for a user to figure out. I mean, if you already have the rest of the app and its features available in Spanish, why not that last little detail? 🤔 We wish we didn’t have to put things on the ledger in English all the time for the helpful icons to appear, because it feels snobbish and exclusionary of our housemates who are not Spanish-English bilingual.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry our category guesser doesn't yet recognize the Spanish words you and your friends are using. For now you can always manually set the category of an expense by tapping on the category icon and choosing from the list of categories. ~firstname.lastname@example.org
Love it but...
I love and use this app constantly, to the point that it would make sense for me to use the pro version. So I did the 1 month free trial (thank you) but it didn’t seem worth the money. Specifically because I still can’t itemize transactions on the phone app, only the desktop, and the charts aren’t really helpful. In regards to the charts, if I could tap on a section of the pie chart and have every transaction that’s in that category shown - that would be Very helpful. Also, it’s not very clear on the charts if the total amount shown is the total of what Both people spent (and then split) or if it’s what I specifically spent after splitting expenses (again, would be very helpful to know/have both options). Last feedback is that it would be great if when using the itemized feature, that items could be split by a custom % instead of only 50/50 or 100/0. Fingers crossed these updates are doable! I tell people about this app all the time and it makes my like So much easier by removing the stress of remembering debts, but the above would really help a lot.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your kind words and for trying Pro, sorry it didn't meet your needs!
To itemize a receipt from the iOS app, please scan your receipt then tap the "itemize receipt" button. Subscribers can set a default unequal split for a group (eg 60% 40%), by visiting "group settings". If you'd like to discuss further please write email@example.com. Cheers!
Great app! But my friends can’t handle the minimize transactions setting.
I recently tried Splitwise for the first time for a trip with a group of friends. Some friends wouldn’t log into Splitwise. Some friends wouldn’t check their emails. And a couple of friends couldn’t understand how everyone could be settled up if they didn’t pay back the person who originally paid for a specific item. Guys, Splitwise tells you how to settle up to reduce transactions so that everyone comes out the same. Minds were blown. I could literally sense that smoke was about to come out of their ears. Of course, it would have helped if they logged into the app, or checked their email or paid attention by the 2nd or 3rd or 5th time I told them, “Guys, open Splitwise! It literally breaks it all down for you!” Minimum transactions are not for the faint of heart.
Bottom line: Splitwise is great! But after that trip, I may have lost a little bit of faith in the human race.
- Splitwise, Inc.
- 72.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Splitwise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Splitwise Pro $2.99
- Splitwise Pro $29.99
- Splitwise Pro $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.