Sprite Something is a drawing, animation and tilemap application for pixel artists and game developers. Draw multiple frames individually, then quickly drag and drop frames into an animation, or use your frames to draw tilemaps for your game levels. Export your creations to PNG, animated GIF's and CSV files (tilemaps).
For documentation, visit http://terriblegames.com/spriteSomething to download the Sprite Something Manual.
Sprite Something is also now available on the Mac App Store.
- create spritesheets / tiles for use in games
- edit frames individually and conveniently
- multiple layers for drawing (spritesheets only)
- animation: drag and drop animation frames
- tilemaps: draw using frames to create large maps
- iCloud: sync spritesheets, tilemaps, palettes across all your devices
- Dropbox: Import/Export files quickly and easily to/from your Dropbox account
- Photo Library: Import/Export spritesheets to/from your Photo Library
- GIF export: save and email gif previews of your animation
- HSB/RGB color select
- Recent colors list
- scalable preview to see your pixel work at multiple sizes
- onion skinning for easy tracing or cloning frames
- place photos from your library behind editing area
- add custom GIMP color palettes, or create palettes from your drawings
- assignable three and four finger swipe gestures (changeable in Settings)
- add new or save out your drawings through iTunes
- export via email
- export individual frame images
- optimized for Retina display, iOS 5.0+ compatible, landscape and portrait views
- touch and hold to select color when using pencil, line or fill
- touch the onion skin button once for relative frame difference, twice for locked onion skin frame
- when exporting individual frames, limit exported frames by creating a list of comma separated numbers or number ranges (i.e. 1,3,5-8,12)
Learn tools and tips about Sprite Something: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE9903D1642039E69
Drawing supports PNG files up to 1024x1024, tilemaps up to 200x200.
Follow @mattfox12 on Twitter for latest news. Sprite Something is also available on the Mac App Store.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
• Merge Layers
• Move All Layers option for Move Tool
• Export to Photo Library exports flattened layers instead of just the current layer
• Animations: Selecting a frame appears correctly centered in iOS 8
• Additional bugfixes
Ratings and Reviews
Sprite artists read first.
In fairness, there is a good amount of things that this app does right/well that I wish other apps offered.
It should be mentioned that If you're going to use this app for making sprites and animations FOR ACTUAL GAME USE, then this app is ideal for people on the go.
-There are some glitchy quirks with the images saving correctly.
-There are some functions and features that are not very clear or intuitive and can become confusing.
-No rescale options and no option to "save as" (alternate picture save)
I would note If you're looking for a sprite app as a drawing outlet to create sprite art then I would suggest you look else where for something that's not as pricey.
Again this app is really more for game design/users, more so than sprite enthusiasts and artists.
Keeps freezing and crashing since last iOS update
On any given day, I would rate Sprite Something 5-stars. It’s truly the BEST program to draw and animate 2D sprites for game development. Unfortunately, since the most recent iOS update - Sprite Something now has random freezes/crashes that completely wipe the progress you’ve made on a sprite. When these freezes/crashes don’t occur, it’s a fantastic program worth the asking price. I have been using Sprite Something for quite some time on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I don’t want to switch to another sprite creation app. Please, please — fix the issues plaguing this release! By the next major iOS upgrade (if no fixes ever materialize to address the aforementioned issues), I fear Sprite Something will end becoming another broken app that was once considered great, but could have been so much more.
Was great…until no longer able to export your art work
Been using this app for indie 2D game art for 6 years! It has been great for what I use it for, HOWEVER the app does not appear to be updated anymore by its developer! Now you cannot export your art work at all anymore. The email export no longer works and the drop box export no longer works at least not with IOS 13 and newer which excludes anyone with I phone 8 and up!
The developer, Terrible Games, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Terrible Games
- 6.6 MB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 5.1.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-14 Terrible Games
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.