Spelling Bee by Squeebles is an app aimed at helping 5 to 11 year old kids practice their spellings in a fun, motivating environment. It allows you to set up your own, personalized spelling tests, as well as download from over 150 pre-recorded tests containing over 1800 words.
"After evaluating many spelling apps, I was so pleasantly surprised while testing out Squeebles Spelling – it’s a winner!" - TeachersWithApps.com
Key Features (from a parent or teacher's perspective):
- Set up your own custom spelling tests containing the exact words your kids need to learn, recording yourself speaking the audio of each word, or download from over 200 pre-recorded spelling tests created by us across 5 difficulty levels.
- Dyslexia-friendly features, including the option of using Open Dyslexic font.
- Accented characters allow you to set up spelling tests for French, Spanish, German or Italian words.
- Individual statistics cover spelling test scores and show incorrect spellings so you can see what each child is struggling with.
- Print each child's previous tests and answers.
- Register unlimited children on any one device
- Share spelling tests between devices or back them up to the cloud using a free KeyStageFun account.
- Customize each child's experience with personalized settings.
- No in-app purchases, no adverts and no internet links for children to accidentally tap on.
- Parent / teacher area can be password protected.
- A motivational reward system for your children keeps them practicing their spellings so they can keep earning further rewards and making progress in the game.
Key Features (from a child's perspective):
- Practice your spellings across 4 different game modes, taking personalized tests set by a parent or teacher, KeyStageFun downloadable tests, random tests and tricky tests.
- "Tricky Words" mode only asks you questions you previously answered incorrectly.
- Consolidate learning by taking one-off tests that choose words randomly from all the words stored in the app.
- Rescue 20 Squeebles from the clutches of the nasty Spelling Snake, including some designed by children who won our "Design a Squeeble" competition. Each Squeeble has its own unique personality, facts and stats.
- Every time you spell a word correctly, you earn turns on the fun "Squeeberang" mini game, where Squeebles fly as far as they can through the air on boomerang-shaped colourful flying machines.
- Collect stars to trade for Squeeberangs and power-ups to use in the Squeeberang game. The more stars you have, the better the Squeeberangs you can get.
- Earn power-ups to use in the game.
- View high scores, stats and the rewards you've won.
The app can be used by kids practicing for a weekly spelling test or spelling bee, or those looking to improve vocabulary ahead of school end of year tests.
From the App Store:
"Love this design! Simple, easy to use, interactive. I have downloaded eight different spelling apps - all four stars +. However, this is the best one I have found for my son." (5 star review)
"We use this app to help my daughter study for her weekly spelling test. It is a great study tool. She gets 100% on almost all of her tests."
"My husband and I enjoyed recording our daughter's weekly spelling words (using silly voices, of course!). My nine year old was giggling as she learned - who knew spelling could be so fun?"
"My daughter practices her spelling list on this every night. It works great, easy to use and set up. She loves earning points to buy squeeberangs. Way more fun than practicing on paper, and helps them find their way around the keyboard too."
If you have any questions or suggestions for features, please e-mail email@example.com
Version 7.6 fixes a couple of issues with our most recent release:
- iOS 9 now supported
- fixed the issue where on first use, whilst allowing the microphone from within the app, recording and playback starting behaving strangely on some devices.
The previous version (7.5) included support for children who suffer from visual stress, 5 new Squeebles, designed by our competition winners and a treasure hunt. As always, if you have any suggestions or questions, please e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Worked great until Nov 2020 update
This was a wonderful app that helped so much with learning custom spelling tests in a fun way. Unfortunately, now the app won't even open. I will have to try and find a replacement app.
Developer Response ,
Hi there. We’re guessing you’re running iOS 9? If so, we’re aware of an issue affecting older devices running iOS 9. We’ve released an update that should be live over the weekend that should resolve the issue (so you don’t have to find a new app). Thanks. Ian, KeyStageFun.
My son actually said studying his spelling words was fun with this app. We had no arguing or tears this week over spelling practice. Thank you!
Educational & Fun!!
I prefer my son to play educational games, but there aren't many out there that will hold his attention like some of the mindless game apps do. Imagine my surprise when he not only willingly played the game (over & over), but I had to make him stop because it was bedtime! I love that I am able to customize the list to match his weekly spelling list so he can practice for his test each week. I also like the option of having the word displayed for a period of time before he has to spell it...a technique I've used often as a teacher!
No matter if your child goes to public or private school or is homeschooled, this is a great app for practicing for spelling tests!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.