Spelling Bee by Squeebles is an app aimed at helping 5 to 11 year old kids practice their spellings in a fun, motivating environment. It allows you to set up your own, personalized spelling tests, as well as download from over 150 pre-recorded tests containing over 1800 words.
"After evaluating many spelling apps, I was so pleasantly surprised while testing out Squeebles Spelling – it’s a winner!" - TeachersWithApps.com
Key Features (from a parent or teacher's perspective):
- Set up your own custom spelling tests containing the exact words your kids need to learn, recording yourself speaking the audio of each word, or download from over 200 pre-recorded spelling tests created by us across 5 difficulty levels.
- Dyslexia-friendly features, including the option of using Open Dyslexic font.
- Accented characters allow you to set up spelling tests for French, Spanish, German or Italian words.
- Individual statistics cover spelling test scores and show incorrect spellings so you can see what each child is struggling with.
- Print each child's previous tests and answers.
- Register unlimited children on any one device
- Share spelling tests between devices or back them up to the cloud using a free KeyStageFun account.
- Customize each child's experience with personalized settings.
- No in-app purchases, no adverts and no internet links for children to accidentally tap on.
- Parent / teacher area can be password protected.
- A motivational reward system for your children keeps them practicing their spellings so they can keep earning further rewards and making progress in the game.
Key Features (from a child's perspective):
- Practice your spellings across 4 different game modes, taking personalized tests set by a parent or teacher, KeyStageFun downloadable tests, random tests and tricky tests.
- "Tricky Words" mode only asks you questions you previously answered incorrectly.
- Consolidate learning by taking one-off tests that choose words randomly from all the words stored in the app.
- Rescue 20 Squeebles from the clutches of the nasty Spelling Snake, including some designed by children who won our "Design a Squeeble" competition. Each Squeeble has its own unique personality, facts and stats.
- Every time you spell a word correctly, you earn turns on the fun "Squeeberang" mini game, where Squeebles fly as far as they can through the air on boomerang-shaped colourful flying machines.
- Collect stars to trade for Squeeberangs and power-ups to use in the Squeeberang game. The more stars you have, the better the Squeeberangs you can get.
- Earn power-ups to use in the game.
- View high scores, stats and the rewards you've won.
The app can be used by kids practicing for a weekly spelling test or spelling bee, or those looking to improve vocabulary ahead of school end of year tests.
From the App Store:
"Love this design! Simple, easy to use, interactive. I have downloaded eight different spelling apps - all four stars +. However, this is the best one I have found for my son." (5 star review)
"We use this app to help my daughter study for her weekly spelling test. It is a great study tool. She gets 100% on almost all of her tests."
"My husband and I enjoyed recording our daughter's weekly spelling words (using silly voices, of course!). My nine year old was giggling as she learned - who knew spelling could be so fun?"
"My daughter practices her spelling list on this every night. It works great, easy to use and set up. She loves earning points to buy squeeberangs. Way more fun than practicing on paper, and helps them find their way around the keyboard too."
If you have any questions or suggestions for features, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
v7.4 is a minor update featuring various performance improvements.
As always, if you have any features you'd like to see added to any of our apps, please let us know by e-mailing email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
Educational & Fun!!
I prefer my son to play educational games, but there aren't many out there that will hold his attention like some of the mindless game apps do. Imagine my surprise when he not only willingly played the game (over & over), but I had to make him stop because it was bedtime! I love that I am able to customize the list to match his weekly spelling list so he can practice for his test each week. I also like the option of having the word displayed for a period of time before he has to spell it...a technique I've used often as a teacher!
No matter if your child goes to public or private school or is homeschooled, this is a great app for practicing for spelling tests!
Squeebles spelling game
Finally, an educational app that can be modified for each specific child. The ones I have purchased in the past have either been too easy or too hard and there were no options to tailor the apps to what my children are learning. This app is so easy for me to input their spelling words each week and for each child to test themselves (while thinking they are playing a game) on their specific words. Now my 1st and 3rd graders fight for their turn to quiz themselves! Would love to be able to put this app on my nook as well.
Easy to use!
My daughter and I love this app! She enjoys studying her spelling words now. I have 2 suggestions: 1. That there would be a login in parents section to avoid having to re-enter words on multiple devices, and 2. That there was a learn feature, to help them learn a list initially. Thanks for creating great educational apps!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.