StaffPad is designed for composers who want to composer and write music effortlessly, using handwriting recognition. Simply write your music using Apple Pencil, and the app will transform each bar into beautifully typeset music notation that can be edited further using touch or Pencil tools that are intuitive and quick to use.
Build you score with the fluidity of natural handwriting combined with the convenience of digital editing. Use touch and Apple Pencil to quickly change the pitches, transpose selections, add additional elements, symbols, lines, text, quickly cut/copy/paste, quick repeat. Customise the tempo with a unique tempo staff (or import a tempo map from a MIDI file), add chords with the chord staff - or let StaffPad automatically analyse the score and write the chord symbols for you and much more. You can even copy music written in StaffPad into other apps, simply using the normal copy and paste functions. Paste an idea quickly into an email, or Messages, or build worksheets in Keynote or Pages just as easily as working with pictures.
HEAR YOUR MASTERPIECE.
With a groundbreaking playback engine and over 55 included instruments, StaffPad is ready to perform your written piece by just tapping the play icon. You can even draw automation using the Apple Pencil to customise and automate the each instrument's dynamics, volume and pan. For professional quality playback, add industry standard sample libraries directly into the app from the StaffPad Store - these unique StaffPad Editions of flagship libraries, created by the world's leading sample library development houses, provide truly breathtaking results with true legato, multiple repetition samples, many more instrument choices, additional playing techniques and much more. This is a leap forward for composers working at the highest levels.
SHARE WITH SCORESYNC
ScoreSync is our revolutionary technology for sharing individual instrument parts of your score with all the musicians in the room using StaffPad Reader. Any Reader on the local WiFi network is instantly synchronised, with edits and changes made in StaffPad instantly reflected on the Readers. StaffPad even synchronises playback, so that all the Readers can provide a synchronised click track, count-in, playback markers, and even to turn the pages automatically. This means no more printed parts, no more confusion about where to start, no more missed changes or reprints due to edits. A true revolution for working with live musicians.
IMPORT AND EXPORT
StaffPad imports and exports MusicXML and MIDI files for easily working with other music apps. You can also export your playback as WAV, AAC or MP3.
Write chords manually, and they'll be automatically formatted into chord symbols. Or, simply toggle "Show Chords" on an instrument staff to have StaffPad intelligently analyse and write the chord symbols for you. StaffPad can even provide a harmonic analysis of the whole piece, correcting automatically for non-pitched and transposed instruments, and create a unique chord staff with customisable chord complexity levels.
Annotate your score with either private or public (shared with the Readers) annotation pens. Public pens allow for instant written communication with individual musicians in the room via ScoreSync and StaffPad Reader.
PRINT / PDF
As well as digital parts via ScoreSync, StaffPad will automatically format and print parts or export PDFs for you. Customise the paper size, bar number styles, number of bars per line, scaling, margins, multi-bar consolidation and more. StaffPad automatically formats the score for consistent presentation.
StaffPad features "Fenby", our voice-activated composer assistant, who can assist you in routine tasks like setting up your score, adding instruments, tempos, bar line styles, key changes and more.
StaffPad 1.2.1 contains new features and fixes
- FEATURE: Note stretch: tap, hold and drag a note (or chord left or right to change it's length
- FEATURE: Drag a dynamic up or down with the Pencil to change it's value. Drag down to lower the dynamic value, or drag up to increase it.
- Various recognition improvements: in particular, improvements to dynamics symbols and hairpins
- You can now copy and paste chord symbols on regular staffs, not just the chord staff
- Chords from the chord staff will now show on regular staffs too, where appropriate
- Tuplets are no longer swung in swing playback mode
- When transposing your selection, the "change key signature" toggle is now off by default
- Slurs now properly update when toggling transposing score mode
- Instrument names are more responsive
- The lasso tool is now more responsive on activation
- Chords are imported and exported via MusicXML more reliably
- Selections that are copied and pasted into other apps no longer show a 1px black border around them
- Improvements to the Versions feature, which is now more robust and responsive
- File/score naming is less sensitive to "special" characters; correctly handling backslashes, speech marks and other non-standard characters
- Support for new library: StaffPad Essential Drummers - 4 kits, 27 different presets covering pop, rock, funk and hip-hop.
- Release of libraries: Ambience One, Taylor Davis Violin, Tina Guo Cello
- Various other smaller bug fixes and enhancements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A strong start
I bought this for my birthday, as I am a young composer who is sometimes frustrated with other composition software. I have a few notes, as I am learning the app currently.
1. You need to practice a bit to get the notes right, and sometimes even after that it sometimes doesn’t show your notes and that’s frustrating.
2. I have yet to have an accidental that shows up. Even with the guides on their website I still have yet to get a single accidental to appear after drawing it.
3. The toolbar is somewhat confusing and should have labels.
4. Occasionally, the eighth notes beamed do not appear without proper fiddling.
5. When there is something wrong in the bar, the whole bar is wrong, leading you to guess and check where the inconsistency is. Everything that the app can see should be put into the bar, and the things the app doesn’t recognize should be highlighted.
6. When things don’t work, there should be a select feature where you can add a sharp or flat where the app doesn’t see one if it was written.
This is reopening the music composition world to me
Having trained in composition on physical manuscript paper in the 1970’s, I have never been remotely interested in any of the music composition software programs that I have tested over the years -- I dreamed of being able to write with some kind of pencil on a digital manuscript, not dragging notes onto the staff from a sidebar, or anything like that (very dull and uninspiring to me - I couldn’t stand more than 10 minutes of that).
I reviewed Staffpad very carefully before purchasing, because of the higher price - but after training on it for a while (which I expected would be necessary), I have day by day found it to be extremely responsive, intuitive, and fun to use. Worth EVERY PENNY. I started by simply copying out some of my handwritten compositions for practice, and am having such a great time - also improving them as I write and play them back! I have not yet downloaded the store programs (which sound beautiful and will be very useful to me later). This marvelous work-of-art software is opening up the world of music composition to me again, and I am very, very grateful...
I thought this would be just the app I was looking for, however, as it is it’s unusable. No matter how I try to write the note in it only recognizes it about 50% of the time. It seems to work slightly better when I create the notes with upward strokes. I’ve search for input tutorials and still no luck. I hope it is fixed soon. I’ve spent about $200 between the app and the pen. I’m extremely disappointed.
Update: 4/11 a little better but still horrible. The only thing I can think is that StaffPad didn’t use any left handed writers when designing the app. I bought the app to make my life easier, and every time it takes longer than if I wrote it out by hand and then re-entered it into Sibelius. Also, how on earth can this app not have a full score view. The most frustrating part is when you write an entire bar and click outside the bar and NONE OF THE NOTES ENGRAVE so instead of StaffPad telling you which notes it doesn’t recognize you have to erase the entire measure and redo it. It’s completely maddening
- StaffPad Ltd
- 1.2 GB
Requires iOS 12.4 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- © StaffPad Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Tina Guo Cello $39.99
- Berlin Strings $99.99
- Berlin Woodwinds $99.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.