*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 20 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
A few bug fixes:
- Fixed occasional crash when selecting constellations, either from search or by directly tapping on them.
- Star Chart now understands that Pluto has 5 moons, not 4.
- When running in an English variant other than US English, planet/moon order text was not displaying correctly.
Ratings and Reviews
Where has this been all my life?!
Hi i am Ethan, im 12 and wish to be a scientist when im older. I just got a telescope for my 12th birthday, and i have been strugling trying to find things in the night sky. Today my science teacher showed me an app on her phone because she knows i LOVE science, she reffered to this! Star chart. I thought it was interesting so i told her, "i will definetly download this!!" So i get home and i immedietly run to my phone and search... Star chart. This app is litteraly the ABSOULUTE lifesaver! As im typing this is is 7:35 pm. I looked and mars was above the horizen. So i rushed outside to the deck with my telescope and pointed it, to where i thought Mars would be acourding to this app. Since this is the only time we can see it really good until 2030. This was HUGE, Mars is my first planet i (May) find, i am pretty sure last night i was on the hunt for Jupiter. I seen a bright object that was orange, i used my focus scope to put it in the crosshair, and i sall nothing. I bought a extension that extends the normal vision of a telescope for another 8000 meters. I put it in, so im hoping i can get a good look at mars. If you are reading this and want to be like me... Be like me!!!! This stuff is so interesting, good luck to those who are wanting to find mars, I encourage you!!!! This app gets FIVE STARS!!!!!!!!! Where was this all my life?! 🤣
This is one of those app's that you know you got your money's worth and a lot more!! It gives you so much information about the heavens above, I really like being able to identify the constellations and the planets and being able to read the information about them, really great stuff. Another nice thing is that you can have it let you know of up and coming celestial events such as meteor shower, it'll let you know the where and when of the event. It'll tell you about planet conjunctions and so much more!!!!!!! If your looking for an app about the sky's this is the one you want, I've showed this app to friends and family and once I have it's not very long or it's right then that they're downloading it to their devices. Get it so you can show off your knowledge of the night sky's. It even shows you what's in the sky on the other side of the Earth!!!!!
This used to be one of my favorite apps-- I've memorized just about every (visible) star in the summer sky thanks to it. When I first downloaded it a little over two years ago, looking at the stars quickly became one of my favorite pastimes. The Messier catalogue and all of the extra information on stars, planets, constellations, etc. is pretty expansive, even without the upgrade packages-- there is a TON of information available, all for free. This app is awesome!
However, lately (I started noticing it a few months ago), the feature that allows you to point your phone at the sky and see it on your screen has been so buggy it's impossible to use. When I try to do this, the portion of the sky that shows is about 100 degrees off from the real sky, and shows at the wrong angle (the horizon line is almost vertical). The calibration screen will pop up for a split second and then go back to the sky chart before I have a chance to do anything. Those two screens will cycle until I stop it switching back to
I really wish this bug would be fixed-- this is the best feature of the app, in my opinion! The app is still great but definitely not as fun without that feature.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- 28.9 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009 Escape Velocity Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Meteor Showers $4.99
- Comets $2.99
- Satellites $4.99
- Extended Solar System $4.99
- Enhanced Constellations $4.99
- Extended Star Catalog $9.99
- Enhanced Messier Catalog $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.