Point your iPhone or iPad like a magic lens into the night sky, and see in real time what stars, planets, and constellations hover above. Stargazing has never been so easy!
This app is a streamlined starmap that is gorgeous to look at. See constellations come to life against a vibrant backdrop of stars, each colored according to their actual stellar classification. Track the movement of planets. See the phases of the moon. Discover detailed information about stars. Amaze your friends and educate your kids with this impressive app.
* New Augmented reality mode!
* Information at your fingertips. Learn about stars and planets. Discover trivia connecting stars to some of your favorite science fiction Learn the folklore behind constellations.
* Lightning-fast navigation.
* Over 100,000 stars from the Hipparcos database, painted accurately according to their spectral type.
* All 88 western constellations.
* Planets of the solar system.
* See a real-time map of the sky, day or night.
* Detailed information on hundreds of celestial objects from stars to planets to solar system objects.
* Powerful zoom feature allows you to pinpoint star clusters and examine planets.
* View the sky beneath the horizon. Know where the sun is, even at night!
* Supports both motion and touch navigation. Point your device at the sky and the app will track what you see.
Starlight is an ever-expanding tour of the Cosmos with new content planned regularly.
Ratings and Reviews
Simple and Great
I’ve had this app for years now and it’s been worth every penny. It makes my inner child happy to be able to put names to constellations I’ve seen since I was a kid.
Sometimes the alignment can be slightly off, for example Orion is located more left on the on screen map than it is in the sky. But you can still figure it out really easy, even in a high lit area like a big city.
I love it, But there is a problem
I love this app. But it has the cycles of the moon and other constellation way off now. Today and into tomorrow is the super harvest moon Sept. of 2023. Yet the app is showing the moon as a half waning moon. I noticed that there has been no new update in 9 months so I’m not sure if this app is even truly active anymore.
I hope to hear back from the creator to find out one way or another. And if find out if there is a way to update the issues of the moon cycles. Thanks much.
Developer Response ,
Hello there! Starlight is alive and well. It is being upgraded to Metal for performance currently. The constellations should be in their right place. One issue that we see often is if your device is in a magnetic case, that can throw off the observation by several degrees. Another thing to try is closing all apps running in the background. They can interfere with an accurate compass reading. Failing that, write to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can troubleshoot. Thanks for being a loyal customer!
Simply, this is the easiest to use, easiest to understand, most informative sky-gazing app I've used. I've deleted all the others on my device!....(four years later)and since I originally wrote this review, this app has gotten even better. Still shamelessly simple to use but now they’ve added gobs of information for each star, planet, and constellation. This is an excellent app!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- ION6, LLC
- 72.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2023 ION6, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.