Use your iPhone's compass and gyroscope to find planets, constellations, and more with crisp, colorful, high-definition Retina graphics that use every pixel of your iPhone! Hold the universe in your pocket!
• Try StarMap 3D Plus for iPad support, more stars, thousands of Deep Sky Objects, and original constellation artwork.
StarMap 3D is the portable star atlas for beginners or advanced astronomers. Use StarMap 3D to find the planets, stars, constellations, star clusters, galaxies, and nebulae visible to you based on your location and time. StarMap 3D will even use the compass to automatically align the map!
• Retina Display Compatibility
• Over 15,000 stars, with detailed information for each of them
• 303 deep sky objects, with details such as distance from Earth, diameter, apparent size and orientation, and morphology
• All 88 modern constellations, with lines based on the outlines from "The Stars: A New Way to See Them" by H.A. Rey
• MacRobert and Classic constellation lines also available
• Location-based-services (LBS) / Global Positioning System (GPS) support, or manually enter your longitude and latitude
• Adjustable date and time of day
• Also adjust time instantaneously and interactively with the Time Scroll feature
• Compass support, if present
• Planetarium Mode for seeing only objects visible to you, or browse the entire celestial sphere
• 3D Mode for visualizing the universe in three dimensions
• Bug fix and general improvements
Ratings and Reviews
This is my favorite star map of all!!!
My mother and I have been amateur astronomers forever and love tracking the night sky. This is the best app I’ve used to help us. It concisely gives all the information I have ever been curious about and is easy to read, navigate, and make sense of.
I tried three other star guides in addition to this one, and they failed me and are not used. THIS App, is a favorite of mine I and recommend it all of the time.
Pick this one.
ok app, but completely ruined my calendar
the app itself works pretty good. tracking is decent, plenty of data. i wish the time slider was a little more intuitive. there isnt much support for comets or asteroids but thats ok. the bad thing that happened, is that the app has accessed my calendar and jam packed it with every single upcoming moon phase and astronomical event for the next 1000 years. this wouldn’t be so bad- in fact, it would be pretty neat- if it weren't for the fact that every event was added precisely FOURTEEN TIMES. my calendar is utterly filled with endless identical entries, thereby making it difficult to find other calendar events of mine. furthermore, even after revoking the apps access to the calendar and even deleting the app altogether, the redundant entries are still there. i would have to go along and delete them manually, one at a time- which would likely take several lifetimes. so, i will have to live with this and be content to be emphatically over informed about every single upcoming and passed astronomical event, for the rest of my natural lifespan
Developer Response ,
Hello there, and thanks for your review! We are sorry for the trouble the app has caused you, but we have fixed this issue in the newest update. This fix will only add a single calendar event to a separate "Astronomy" calendar, which you can delete at will without affecting your main calendar. Also, this update will clean your main calendar of ALL events that were previously added by StarMap 3D. We actually fixed this bug for the Plus version a few months ago, but we accidentally didn't issue the update for the regular version, doh!
Again, we are so sorry for causing problems with your calendar, and we greatly appreciate that you were extremely lenient with your 30-star rating, as well as your darkly humorous review of our app. Anyway, your review kicked our butt into submitting the calendar fix for this Regular version of the app, so thank you very much for that!
Star Map 3D
As a non-astrological expert, I can name a handful of stars and planets. This app is fantastic and teaches you everything you may be seeing in the sky. I say may because of light pollution. I can see where certain stars should be visible but due to all the surrounding light, just aren’t visible to the naked eye. The whole family loves it. You can set alerts for full moon, satellites zooming by, etc. just a great app for those who want to have fun!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Edward Sanville
- 119.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2020 Ed Sanville
- In-App Purchases
- More Stars $0.99
- More Stars $1.99
- Constellation Artwork $0.99