The Statesman is one of India's oldest English newspapers. It was founded in Kolkata in 1875 and is directly descended from The Friend of India (founded 1818). The Englishman (founded 1821) was merged with The Statesman in 1934. The Delhi edition of The Statesman began publication in 1931. The Statesman Weekly is a compendium of news and views from the Kolkata and Delhi editions. Printed on airmail paper, it is popular with readers outside India. The Statesman (average weekday circulation approximately 180,000) is a leading English newspaper in West Bengal. The Sunday Statesman has a circulation of 230,000.
The Statesman has distinguished itself through objective coverage of events, its value as an honest purveyor of news emphasised at times of crisis such as the Bengal Famine of 1943 and the infamous internal Emergency of the mid-1970s. It is forthright in the expression of its views. Its pursuit of the truth has been relentless and often at considerable cost to itself, as when the government of Indira Gandhi, in gross abuse of power, attempted to suppress its voice and when the government of Rajiv Gandhi interfered with the grant of statutory clearances to its modernization plans unless the paper changed its editorial stance.
The Statesman prevailed, as the truth must prevail, and remains a favourite of readers in Kolkata and other parts of India.
The Statesman is now available on your iPhones & iPad.
The app, powered by Readwhere features :
* Updated news of every hour
* Get notified instantly for every breaking news
* New issues get automatically refreshed when published
* Mark news article as favourite to read it later in offline mode
* E-paper integrated in the app
* Pinch zoom-in & zoom-out feature
* Page by page navigation
* Automatically saves pages to read offline
* Subscribe to your favourite edition and get notified when the new issue is available.
Minor Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Thanks for promoting great journalism
- The Statesman Net Private Limited
- 130.3 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © The Statesman
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.