STEM Explorer: Summer Learning™ is a cutting-edge app which teaches science, math and related subjects that is tied to the Common Core State Standards Initiative. It's a free, safe holiday activity shown to minimize summer learning loss.
Join our heroes on their adventure around America as they solve mathematics and science challenges together in their hunt for the scattered parts of Stempy’s spaceship.
- Free, fun app for Grade 1-2 students
- Science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) focus
- Eight types of games that are linked to a single story line quest
- Analytics dashboards for parents and teachers
- Curriculum linked lesson planning for teachers
- STEM Explorer: Summer Learning™ is powered by a machine learning algorithm called Cognission Engine™ to optimize and deliver personalized content and feedback.
- Single learning app for multiple subjects with hours of gameplay
- Personalized learning where questions are tailored to each child
- Rewards effort and persistence
- Aligned to the Common Core State Standards Initiative
- Peer, team and family-based learning
- 8 new advanced game mechanics
- Children remain engaged with their learning app for longer time periods
- Prevents summer learning loss
- Proven to give students a headstart
- School ready by the time the holidays are over
The science behind the app:
Most games use a ‘drill and kill’ approach to deliver blocks of questions aligned to a specific category, such as multiplication, but STEM Explorer: Summer Learning™ mixes up the questions in an approach designed to boost learning. The technique is called interleaving and scientific studies have shown it can have long-lasting effects particularly for subjects like math(1).
Interleaving is just one component of the Cogniss platform and the technology is based on neuroplasticity: the brain's ability to adapt and change in response to new experiences. Other core features of the smart engine include its ability to ‘know’ when to serve more challenging questions based on the user providing faster and more accurate answers. Tailoring the timing and types of questions to suit individual learners, and ensuring any feedback they get has a sound psychological basis all help to deepen understanding, foster engagement and maximize long-term knowledge retention.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.