Learn the mysteries of the universe as studied by Stephen Hawking with Snapshots of the Universe, now available for iPhone!*
* Features 10 interactive experiments, including the new additions “Earth to Mars” and “Evolution of a Star” (both available in the Stars & Planets Pack)
How does the universe work? Stephen Hawking’s Snapshots of the Universe explains the principles that control our universe through simple and fun experiments.
From one of the world’s greatest thinkers you’ll learn why:
- Planets stay in orbit around stars
- Black holes may not actually be black
- Time is not the same for everyone
- Stars cannot exist without fuel
- Travelling between planets requires the right timing
- Objects fall at different speeds
- Stars are not always where we perceive them to be
- Motion and location depend on an outside observer
- Gravity and acceleration have more in common than you think
- Our understanding of the universe has evolved over time.
Based on the work and writings of Stephen Hawking, this app teaches both adults and students the basic theories that govern our lives on Earth as well as the movement of the stars and planets. You can play and learn at the same time in each of the ten experiments included in Snapshots of the Universe:
- Spin planets in orbit with your own solar system
- Pilot a ship from Earth to Mars
- Drop objects with Galileo to learn about gravity
- Let Einstein feel some G-force in outer space
- Search for black holes in the constellation of Leo
- Form and grow your own stars
- Discover Einstein’s warped worldview
- Plus more…
Each experiment includes an interactive portion and a deeper-dive text section to help you understand the science and key theories. In addition, select experiments include video segments that provide further visual explanations.
App Support: If you experience any problems with the Snapshots of the Universe app, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
*Please note that this version of the app is iPhone only, but that there is an iPad only version available as well.
Ratings and Reviews
Totally worth it a few bucks considering what it may go towards! (Further explanation of some wicked stuff)
As an average human, I can also see this information being easily explained in the easy-to-read/manageable tabs.
I sincerely give this 5-stars because of the simple effort to explain big things. Merica Pow Bama
Contradicting other reviews for this app, I thought this app was incredibly simple and useful for the average person to get a basic understanding of Physics. Thorough descriptions of what you're seeing ('why?' button) is great! I liked this app!
For people who give this app a bad review keep in mind this is meant for little kids and not for adults who may already know these things.
- Penguin Random House LLC NY
- 576.9 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2015 Stephen W. Hawking
- In-App Purchases
- Stars and Planets Pack $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.