Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Fixed a bug that caused the target area for the toolbar buttons to be shifted a few pixels up, making it difficult for some users to hit the buttons reliably.
Fixed broken move lists (not the one below the board, but the one that appears after tapping "Move" and "Move List" -- does anybody use this one?) on the new larger iPhones.
Ratings and Reviews
Plays a strong, tactical game even when set to lower playing strength I seriously had my hands full at the lower levels! Ok so I was sitting outside a hospital ER in near freezing temps waiting for news about my mother in law but still I am an internationally ranked player and this is one tough fish! The only cons I note so far is there's no resign or claim/offer draw buttons and the app continues to run in the background even after you close it. The work around is just let yourself get checkmated or
Let your clock run out. But overall I LOVE it! 4/2/19 update while I am able to sometimes beat or draw level 6 (uscf 2000) and level 7 (uscf 2200) since updating to iOS 12.1.4 on my iPhone 6 opponents pieces are disappearing at random, only to reappear later making it diffy to play a serious game. Developers can we have an update and your pay pal address? Hint. Hint.
The best chess app
I have an iPhone SE purchased Nov 2017 with iOS 11.2.5. I downloaded Stockfish (and the HIARCS chess app)the same day I bought the phone. Stockfish is better than any other chess app (with HIARCS a close second). Stockfish is well over 3000 elo on my phone. It has more playing modes and features than other chess apps, is VERY easy to use, and it’s free! An example of a feature missing on most or all other apps is the display, in any play mode, of nodes(positions) searched per second, continuously updated every second, in addition to how many total nodes(positions) have been searched so far, also updated every second. I have not had any problems or glitches with the app. The phone can get quite warm when running the program but that’s normal and can be lessened by putting phone on low power mode or setting the app to not think on your time. If u have a smartphone, I recommend downloading this app!
Only One question
This is a great app and has the strongest chess game I’ve ever run across. The only question I have is if this app hasn’t been updated in so long how is it possible that it’s running on Stockfish 10. It tells us this is Stockfish 10 but if it hasn’t been updated in years then how is that even possible? I think it’s still on a older version and I think they should create an update to provide us some type of confirmation that it has been updated and is running the Stockfish 10 like it claims it is.
The developer, Tord Romstad, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Tord Romstad
- 40.3 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2014 Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski