Get Stop Motion Studio, the most powerful animation studio ever designed for a Mac.
Want to create movies like Wallace and Gromit or those groovy Lego shorts on YouTube? Then this is the app you’ve got to add to your collection. Create beautiful stop motion animated movies. It's simple to use, deceptively powerful and insanely fun to play with. Create fantastic movies your friends will enjoy or share it with the world on YouTube, Facebook and other sites. Cool themes, titles and sound effects are easy to add, too.
Stop Motion Studio helps you to create terrific stop action movies with a whole host of unique features:
• Use your DSLR camera from Canon, Nikon or Sony for live view and capture images
• Onionskin to show previous layers over the live view for precise control
• Mask, TV-Safe and Grid to position animated objects more easily
• Instant playback, no wait time to see your movie
• Integrated movie editor with frame-by-frame preview
• Zoom in and out on the timeline view so you never get lost, even if you have hundreds of frames
• Cut, copy, paste, delete and insert frames at any position
• Automatically capture frames with an adjustable time interval feature to create time-lapse movies
• Fade your movie in or out for a professional look
• Import and export project to and from Stop Motion Studio Mobile.
Do amazing things:
• Chroma keying (Green Screen) to change the background of your scene at any time
• Define In- and Outpoints for precious control over your animation
• Create movies in Ultra High Definition (4K) with four times the resolution of Full HD.
• Import pictures, video clips or audio directly into your movie.
• Use your iPhone, iPod or iPad as a remote camera connected via a Wi-Fi.
• Movie Effects: Choose from seven amazing effects to give your movie an extra-creative professional touch.
• Screen capture: Create great looking screencasts using the built-in screen capture camera
• Folder Watch: Define a folder to watch for images to import.
• Histogram to see image exposure and color balance
• Add movie titles and credits using eight different themes. Or choose from 28 amazing theme and text cards.
• Choose from more than 30 different front- and background images.
Full Camera Control
• 4K Ultra High Definition, 1080p and 720p.*
• Control exposure, contrast and saturation
• Remote camera controls include position, exposure, white balance and focus
• DSLR support to control ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed
• DSLR live view with onionskin to line up your animation perfectly
• Take a test shot to see a preview of your image
Add Audio effects and Music
• Bring it all to life using sound effects at virtually any position in your movie. Choose from more than 80 music and sound samples
• Add music from your own song library to your movie
• Edit audio clips with the integrated audio editor
• Export your movie in up 4K UHDTV quality
• Export as animated GIF
• Export in square format for Facebook or Instagram
• Export or print as Flipbook
• Export all images
• Export your project to Stop Motion Studio for iOS
*Supported DSLR cameras:
Canon EOS 450D
Canon EOS 600D
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon Kiss X2
Canon Kiss X5
Canon Rebel XSi
Canon Rebel T3i
Nikon D3100 (No Liveview / EVF)
Sony a5000 (Wifi)
Sony DSC-QX10 (Wifi)
This update fixes an issue where images are not exported correctly. Also fixes an issue with folder watch not importing images correctly.
Ratings and Reviews
Good but DSLR not working
The app is designed to be great but I bought it for one thing, shooting with DSLR which didn’t work with canon 80D
it connects, but when I take the picture it just keeps loading and it doesn’t import the picture, even though the picture is saved in the camera
Until they fix it, I don’t recommend buying the app if you shoot with DSLR
App still in development.
This MacOs version unfortunately is still not in a usable state of development. I use the iOS version in my classes teaching kids K-3 and it is awesome!!! But this MacOS version (free and pro) is buggy, not very intuitive and most of all lacking very basic and required features. It is not even possible to record an audio track!!! Acording to their support, that feature will be added in an update by the end of 2019. Until then the MacOS verison of Stop Motion Studio is pretty much useless!!! They shouldn't charge 9.99 for what they call a "pro" version that doesn't even record audio and advertise it as "the most powerful animation studio ever designed for a mac."! The free version does not let you export/share your movies, meaning not as a .mov file or anything else recognizable by a video player. You can only save as a project to continue working on it later.
Anyway, I hope they can straighten out the bugs and develop it to the same great standard as the iOS version! The 9.99 would be well worth it!
Solid option to introduce stop motion to kids
I was looking for a stop motion program that was
2) Had onion skinning
3) Supported an old Canon EOS rebel XS
4) Reasonably priced
5) Usable by a 7 and 8 year old
I tried a bunch of macOS applications, but only dragon frame met my needs, but I couldn’t justify the price and didn’t need all the features.
Parts of the program are not straight forward out of the box, but a 5 minute read of the support/help page helps quite a bit.
We used it mainly for capturing the images and for this it worked wonderfully, and the high resolution DSLR images allowed for nice 4K video.
The 7 and 8 year old were able to run the rig and make a movie, and add audio (right click on a frame to get audio options), but I found it easier to export the video without audio and add audio in a different video editing program.
All in all a solid, kif friendly program to start recording in stopmotion.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.