StopTheMadness is a Safari and Firefox extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in Safari and Firefox:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
• smooth scrolling
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping")
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon)
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from links
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen
• Stops Safari from automatically submitting login forms. AutoFill login forms and then make changes such as checking "Remember Me" or take CAPTCHA tests before submitting.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Stops video auto-play. This works even on sites where Safari's Auto-Play Preferences don't work.
• Hides animated squiggles on theoutline.com
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. If you need support, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or read the support site at https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html
• Improved the blocking of tracking beacons (when the Privacy protection is enabled).
• Fixed a bug that under some circumstances might inadvertently prevent video autoplay (when the Stop video autoplay protection is disabled).
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app shouldn't be necessary, but it is
We shouldn't have to have an app to give us back control of our own web browsers, but give a web developer an inch and he'll take a mile. It's nice to have sanity restored and be able to do the normal things that computers have been able to do for decades. Copy and paste!
The one feature I'd love to see added is to block the "Wait, don't go!" pop-ups that happen just because the mouse moves to the title bar. So annoying! It's bad web design and eventually designers will stop doing it (I hope), but until then, that's the one feature this app could add to make it golden. The features it has right now are worth the purchase.
Makes the web a joy instead of a death by a thousand cuts
This plugin makes websites behave in acceptable and standardadized ways instead of being annoying in a myriad of small, but impactful ways. This plugin prevents rogue actors from being disrespectful to users and makes it so you don’t have to think about anything but the content you are seeking online. The feature set covers most signifigant annoyances and it shows a well thoughtout experience. This kind of thing shoudlnt’ be needed, but is and its a good thing that you can “set it and forget it”, as the web behaves as it should, while this plugin does its job and fades into to the background.
Now I have my computer back.
Discovered this app while looking for a solution to the "autosubmit" feature added to Safari. While my initial intent was to find a way to prevent this "feature" from blocking me from sites that had the Captcha feature, I found the additional benefit of not logging me on to sites automatically - I now have to allow Safari to log me on.
I understand there are even more protections built in "under the covers" but that is only an additional PLUS in my mind - I now have control of my computer and can log on or not log on as I see fit.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.