StopTheMadness is a Safari and Firefox extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web!
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in Safari and Firefox:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
• smooth scrolling
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping")
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon)
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from clicked links
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Hides animated squiggles on theoutline.com
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
New in 8.0: Stop autofilled login forms from getting automatically submitted!
With this new protection enabled, you'll be able to check "Remember Me" or make other changes to autofilled login forms before submitting.
This protection is not enabled by default. Check "Stop autosubmit of autofilled forms" to enable it in the Website Protections.
New in 8.1: Only request submit confirmation for forms with a password field.
Ratings and Reviews
This app shouldn't be necessary, but it is
We shouldn't have to have an app to give us back control of our own web browsers, but give a web developer an inch and he'll take a mile. It's nice to have sanity restored and be able to do the normal things that computers have been able to do for decades. Copy and paste!
The one feature I'd love to see added is to block the "Wait, don't go!" pop-ups that happen just because the mouse moves to the title bar. So annoying! It's bad web design and eventually designers will stop doing it (I hope), but until then, that's the one feature this app could add to make it golden. The features it has right now are worth the purchase.
Makes the web a joy instead of a death by a thousand cuts
This plugin makes websites behave in acceptable and standardadized ways instead of being annoying in a myriad of small, but impactful ways. This plugin prevents rogue actors from being disrespectful to users and makes it so you don’t have to think about anything but the content you are seeking online. The feature set covers most signifigant annoyances and it shows a well thoughtout experience. This kind of thing shoudlnt’ be needed, but is and its a good thing that you can “set it and forget it”, as the web behaves as it should, while this plugin does its job and fades into to the background.
Great job, and great support!
Just wanted to say thanks to Jeff for the great support - for a product I hadn't even purchased yet! I asked him whether it's possible to fix 2 banking sites where they do tricky things with form-field-focus which prevent autofill from working properly. He replied saying he tested the two sites with an Experimental Feature: Focus and Blur Protection and they work with that experimental protection enabled.
Based on the great support, I purchased it, tested it out with the two banking sites, and now I can login with autofill there again! Thanks Jeff!
- Jeff Johnson
- 604.8 KB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Jeffrey Johnson
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.