This app is a writer’s utility that guides you through the structure of a screenplay. It consolidates multiple paradigms (structural models) into one cohesive interface for an easy one-to-one comparison of theories. With the timing function you can evaluate films in real time to see how filmmakers execute the turning points of a story in ways that are often missed if you are not looking for it, giving you insights that you can instantly apply to your own storytelling.
- Traditional timelines are configured as “story-wheels” for easy one-to-one comparison of popular screenwriting theories; accessed by swiping left/right on the main screen.
- Set Running-Time of film and watch the beats and transitions of the story play out in real-time as you watch.
- Tap story wheel for study-guide synopsis of each paradigm.
- Dimmer function (movie theater mode) steps down brightness with quick tap on main screen.
- Note entry with Time-Stamps displays elapsed-time stamp in the header. Export notes to other applications.
Watch premise and tutorial videos at: http://www.moviemethods.com
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Resolved bug in the notes annotation module
Ratings and Reviews
This is a must-have tool for film research
The accuracy of this app is outstanding, I find myself using the Sid field paradigm a lot. Being a writer this app helps me break down the story with The help of a graphic display. I love this app. Now if I could only figure out how save the cat works, vary confusing system.
Story Compass is a very good introduction to and comparison of various Archplot structure paradigms for creating stories—whether the final form becomes screenplay or novel. As such, it has become an efficient instructional tool for both students and teachers.
The interactive, runtime module that helps one analyze and take notes on the structure of a movie’s plot while watching it is quite useful, though the notetaking function itself could be improved a bit, I think.
If you’re like me, often downloading and storing pdfs of online structure diagrams for reference, you’ll find that this app can save you some time and inconvenience.
Here’s hoping that new “story wheels” will be added in the future.
From Screen To App
This app has been a godsend from the writing gods! I have used this as an instructional device for students and friends. It has also introduced me into new structure methods. I highly recommend this to all film/stories/writing fans.
The developer, MovieMethods, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Moviemethods, LLC
- 45.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 MovieMethods, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.