Storyist is a powerful writing environment that lets you create, review, and revise your work wherever inspiration strikes.
“If I could have only one screenwriting app on my iPad, Storyist would be it.” – Taz Goldstein, Hand Held Hollywood.
“I'm currently traveling in Europe and am just now putting the finishing touches on the book that will be published in September. I'm using the Storyist app for my iPad Mini and it's sensational... a real godsend.” – Michael Brandman, Bestselling Author.
With Storyist, you can:
• Produce submission-ready manuscripts and screenplays. Storyist provides a rich text editor with support for comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets so you can create properly formatted manuscripts and screenplays. And Storyist comes with manuscript and screenplay templates so you can focus on the writing, not the formatting.
• Work with your story at a high level. Storyist lets you sketch out a story using index cards and then refine it with customizable plot, character, and setting sheets. When you're ready to put words on the page, Storyist can even display your index cards next to your manuscript as you write.
• Review and revise on the go. Have a few minutes? Open Storyist and jot down a note, rewrite a few paragraphs, or annotate your manuscript with ideas for future changes.
• Keep all your writing organized and accessible. Storyist organizes your novel manuscripts, screenplays, notes, and other project-related writing so you can access them with just a few taps. And the Files app support lets you store your projects where you want and edit them in place.
Features at a Glance
• Rich text editor with support for fonts, colors, comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets.
• Files interface with the ability to collaborate with other writers, browse version history, and sync with your favorite cloud storage service.
• Automatic manuscript and screenplay formatting with familiar tab and return key shortcuts.
• Color-coded index cards.
• Customizable story sheets.
• Easy import and export of text and images.
• Support for Storyist for Mac, RTF, Plain Text, Fountain, and Final Draft FDX files.
• Ability to export text files as PDF.
• Wireless printing with AirPrint.
• Courier Prime font for screenplays.
Try Storyist 4 for free for 14 days. After the trial period ends, you can purchase Storyist 4 to continue using the editing features or use the app in reader mode for free. Upgrade pricing is available for customers who purchased Storyist 3 for iOS. No subscription required.
Ratings and Reviews
A little frustrating but better than the others
I’ve compared this one to all the other screenplay applications, including Final Draft. I’d say it’s a close one between this and Final Draft. This one is a little more user friendly. But this does have a lot of UI problems when entering split screen mode on iPad. On the phone, when you tap on an area to type, it automatically zooms in so you can get a closer look at what you’re typing. But... it zooms in the wrong area. So I cannot see what I am typing. So I manually zoom out and try to type again and it zooms in again to try to be helpful. But it keeps zooming in the wrong area over and over again. So it has its problems on both iOS and iPad OS, but at least it’s somewhat usable. There are workarounds such as entering the “phone-optimized view”. So it doesn’t have to zoom in and out. The others apps... forget about them. It seems that no developer knows how to make a screenplay application, but Storyist is closest to a professional screenplay app you would expect coming from a desktop.
Not worth upgrade unless you like folders
I’m pretty disappointed that they chose to spin off storyist to add the feature request we've asked for for a long time.
I love using the app, but small things always bothered me like no folder tree in mobile app (like macos has), Support via email never answered, and ability to extend the template system was nonexistant (still is).
That being said i upgraded for the folder tree view since i use this app for my iphone, ipad and mac. So buy it for that convenience but I think for budget minded people google docs is way better for same and more features(sharing and group comments i copy over to google writer.)
Developer Response ,
Hi jo jo devil, Thank you for your support and for the kind words about the app. We're grateful for our long-time users. If you're curious about what else has changed in version 4, tap the App Support link on this page and check out the article titled "Storyist 4 for iOS Overview." It covers the new features (edit in place, iCloud sharing, tags, themes) and enhancements (navigation, dynamic type) in some detail.
Great, except when the iOS app eats styles
I’ve used Storyist for years on desktop and iOS, but recently, if I make a change to any style via the iOS app, within minutes the edited style vanishes and anything uses it reverts to the default style. If I change the default style, ALL styles disappear and the entire document becomes a wall of text. To correct this, I have to go to my desktop install of Storyist, re-create all styles, and re-apply them line by line to the entire document—because they’re totally wiped out. Chapter titles, separators, section text. Gone. Not the worst when it’s a short story, but I found this out working on a 70k draft.
Storyist 3 never had this problem; it’s new to the Storyist 4 app and I hope it’ll be corrected soon, otherwise I might finally switch to the competition. Writers should be able to safely change fonts on an iPad without worrying that all of the styles will be stripped. This bug is a deal breaker.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Storyist Software
- 20.8 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Storyist Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial $0.00
- Storyist 4 $19.99
- Storyist 4 Upgrade $9.99