Storyist is a powerful writing environment that lets you create, review, and revise your work wherever inspiration strikes.
“If I could have only one screenwriting app on my iPad, Storyist would be it.” – Taz Goldstein, Hand Held Hollywood.
“I'm currently traveling in Europe and am just now putting the finishing touches on the book that will be published in September. I'm using the Storyist app for my iPad Mini and it's sensational... a real godsend.” – Michael Brandman, Bestselling Author.
With Storyist, you can:
• Produce submission-ready manuscripts and screenplays. Storyist provides a rich text editor with support for comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets so you can create properly formatted manuscripts and screenplays. And Storyist comes with manuscript and screenplay templates so you can focus on the writing, not the formatting.
• Work with your story at a high-level. Storyist lets you sketch out a story using index cards and then refine it with customizable plot, character, and setting sheets. When you're ready to put words on the page, Storyist can even display your index cards next to your manuscript as you write.
• Review and revise on the go. Have a few minutes? Open Storyist and jot down a note, rewrite a few paragraphs, or annotate your manuscript with ideas for future changes.
• Keep all your writing organized and accessible. Storyist organizes your novel manuscripts, screenplays, notes, and other project-related writing so you can access them with just a few taps. And the Files app support lets you store your projects where you want and edit them in place.
Features at a Glance
• Rich text editor with support for fonts, colors, comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets.
• Files interface with the ability to collaborate with other writers, browse version history, and sync with your favorite cloud storage service.
• Automatic manuscript and screenplay formatting with familiar tab and return key shortcuts.
• Color-coded index cards.
• Customizable story sheets.
• Easy import and export of text and images.
• Support for Storyist for Mac, RTF, Plain Text, Fountain, and Final Draft FDX files.
• Ability to export text files as PDF.
• Wireless printing with AirPrint.
• Courier Prime font for screenplays.
* Storyist no longer quits unexpectedly on iPhone in certain circumstances when reverting to a previous version.
* Storyist no longer prompts you to restore your purchase after upgrading. Previously, some users were seeing the in-app purchase window the first time the app was run after an upgrade.
Ratings and Reviews
Cannot Open File/Update
This problem kept going, then I found out more or less by accident what was wrong. Storyist 4 does not seem to save to Storyist icloud and it shut down when the Storyist 3/4 were running simultaneously, especially on the ipad. I had to save the projects in iCloud Drive and then they opened fine. To his credit, the developer was on it and I want to thank him for that here. To this end, I hope that Storyist 4 also adds the ability for footnotes/endnotes in future updates as I (and I am sure that there are many others as well) do much non-fiction on Storyist and need that feature. So problem is basically solved, developer was on top of it, and add a couple more features if possible.
I bought/Downloaded the newest Storyist version on both mac/iOS. I have not had much time with it yet, but whenever I tried to open up a short piece I created to experiment with it on the IOS, Storyist 4 just crashes and shuts down. I am on an iPad Pro 10.5. I will not even let me create a new project, but just shuts down. Hmmm...
Developer Response ,
Hi Angrysocialist, Please send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the details so we can look into it. It would be helpful to know what version of iOS you're running, what cloud storage service you're using, and what else is running on the device when this happens.
Love this app, and I use it for all my fiction writing projects. Great app, by far my favorite writing tool. I work entirely on iPad (with Bluetooth keyboard) and iPhone syncing to the cloud but able to work offline. I can access my work wherever I go and keep it well organized. The writing interface is very clean and the ability to see and rearrange the plot structure is intuitive and extremely useful. Much simpler than scrivener; for me that means fewer features to be distracted by and more focus on the actual writing. When they add a .doc format export and the ability to export/share just a section or two instead of the whole novel, it will be five stars.
Storyist sometimes deletes all your work!!!
Huge danger warning here, I must echo previous reviews like the one posted by RyGuy486 and report that STORYIST SOMETIMES AUTO-DELETES ALL YOUR WORK. This happened to me twice now, the first time I thought it was because I was using OneDrive for file storage. But I switched back to the default Apple cloud file storage AND A WEEK LATER IT HAPPENED AGAIN. I’ve now lost hours and hours of writing, which is just so disheartening. I can see from Apple’s file versions that Storyist gets confused and starts to save the same version of a file over and over (instead of saving a version with any new modified work). Then if you power down, it auto-restores to that last version... and everything is gone.
Perhaps this won’t happen if I just save files to the local iPad instead of any cloud storage? Perhaps it happened because I connected to a wireless network AFTER starting Storyist?
In the end I don’t care why. This is just one of the worst possible bugs a program like this could have. Sorry to say this program is NOT reliable for professional work. Stay away.
- Storyist Software
- 21.4 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Storyist Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial Free
- Storyist 4 Upgrade $9.99
- Storyist 4 $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.