Codebook is a cross-platform password manager providing powerful and complete data encryption, a flexible data model, fast search, and multi-device replication, among many other features. Codebook for macOS is optimized for the desktop and the latest version of macOS, featuring a global keyboard shortcut for inserting your passwords into any app on your Mac.
Codebook has been protecting sensitive information on mobile devices for 19 years, since the days of the Palm Pilot! It protects your passwords and personal information from unauthorized access by would-be crackers, malicious thieves, and snoopy coworkers. Stop using the same password for all your accounts! Codebook generates strong, random passwords and keeps them for you, protected by your master password and powerful encryption.
“By far the most resilient app to password cracking” — Elcomsoft, Black Hat EU 2012
* Native Mac application updated for macOS 10.14 Mojave (min macOS 10.10)
* Fill out login forms and insert your passwords in any app via keyboard shortcut--no plugins required
* Sync over local WiFi with Codebook for iOS
* Sync over Drive or Dropbox (free Drive or Dropbox account required)
* Full text search as you type across all your records, fields, and labels
* Auto-lock timer allows you to keep Codebook temporarily unlocked while you work
* Configurable field masking to hide sensitive data from view
* Erases clipboard when information is copied to be pasted in other apps after two minutes
* Includes 200 gorgeous, color icons, custom-made for Codebook to personalize your records
* Generates two-step verification (TOTP) codes
* The History view provides you a quick look into when you last changed your passwords
* The Password Review feature checks a password for breaches in the HaveIBeenPwned.com database of over half a billion hacked passwords
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. ssh://, afp://, sftp://) to launch other applications and services directly
Use Stronger Passwords:
* Don't just store your passwords in Codebook, let Codebook generate stronger, random ones for you!
* The password generator allows you to generate random passwords from several common character sets, and adjusts for bias
* The password generator also supports Diceware passwords—both the Reinhold and Electronic Frontier Foundation variants
* The Password Review feature checks the password you're considering against HaveIBeenPwned.com while you edit
* The Password Weakness feature checks for common patterns that make passwords easy to crack
* Personalize categories to match your organizational style
* Customize your entries including usernames, passwords, websites, notes and create your own fields and labels
* Note records can be created in any category to store free-form text
* All notes can be viewed at once in the Journal view
* Store any information you want--no restrictive templates!
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. SSH, AFP, SFTP) to launch other applications directly
* Star your Favorites to get at them quickly and sort them to the top of search results
Encryption and Password Protection:
* Uses the open source, encrypted database engine SQLCipher
* 256-bit AES encryption in CBC mode protects all of your data
* 64,000 rounds of PBKDF2 SHA-1 key derivation
* Every encrypted database has its own random initialization vector
* Every page of storage has its own random initialization vector and HMAC protection
* Hardware-accelerated using CommonCrypto for speed and efficient battery consumption
More details are available at: https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/
Codebook for iOS:
Codebook is designed to work seamlessly with Codebook for iOS. Sync with your mobile device over a WiFi network to keep your secure data with you at all times, even if you don't have your computer. Codebook for iOS is available as a separate purchase - visit https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/ for more details and a product tour!
* Fixes occasional failure of keyboard shortcut command-enter to launch a selected field, such as a website URL
Please leave us a rating or a review to let us know how we're doing!
If you're having problems, we can help, just send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and Reviews
This is the best password solution available. The security is excellent. Sync (I use the WiFi sync option) is fast, and I can have all my passwords across two computers and my iPhone without storing them online. Customer support is the best—I’ve always received a prompt and helpful response to any questions. Regular updates show that the developers are actively and continuously improving the app.
Sync improvement required
I do like this app as far I can keep my passwords safe locally and not being dependant of a cloud service. Sync-ing over wifi with mobile devices is a breeze only for desktop <-> mobile. What I would like is a sync between mobile devices over wifi as well as between desktop computers. Why is that so complicated to sync passwords between 2 computers? I tried today to sync my imac and my macbook pro over wifi, it simply is impossible… Please improve at least the sync over wifi between desktops.
Secret agent bugged? Mid 2010 iMac El Capitan Firefox browser
Secret agent window not popping up on hot-key press unless follow up with clicking on icon in the tray. Then original window loses focus and transfer of username|password gets error beep. Must re-focus window and recall agent window. Searched forum but found no report of this scenario. Great program otherwise. I have been using for years on ipod. I knew about the existence of the agent function but have only begun using it on my Mac for a few months now. Very useful when it worked properly.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for using Codebook and posting this review, although I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with Secret Agent. We'd be happy to help you further troubleshoot the issue if you'd please write in to our support at email@example.com. Thanks!
- Zetetic LLC
- 7.7 MB
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Zetetic LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.