Now supports Image & PDF attachments
Codebook is a cross-platform password manager providing powerful and complete data encryption, a flexible data model, fast search, multi-device replication, Face ID and Touch ID authentication, and form-filling in Safari with the included Find in Codebook app extension.
Codebook is free to try for 14 days, after which an In-App Purchase of Codebook Pro is required to access the sync and editing features.
Codebook has been protecting sensitive information on mobile devices for 19 years, since the days of the Palm Pilot! It protects your passwords and personal information from unauthorized access by would-be crackers, malicious thieves, and snoopy coworkers. Stop using the same password for all your accounts! Codebook generates strong, random passwords and keeps them for you, protected by your master password and powerful encryption.
“By far the most resilient app to password cracking” — Elcomsoft, Black Hat EU 2012
* Optionally authenticate with Face ID and Touch ID
* Full support for AufoFill Passwords in iOS 12
* Fill out password login forms in Safari with the Find in Codebook app extension
* Designed to work on iPhone *and* iPad
* Sync over WiFi with Codebook for macOS and Codebook for Windows (sold separately)
* Sync over Drive or Dropbox (free Drive or Dropbox account required)
* Full text search as you type across all your records and fields
* Auto-lock timer allows you to keep Codebook temporarily unlocked while you switch apps
* Configurable field masking to hide sensitive data from view
* Erases clipboard when information is copied to be pasted in other apps after two minutes
* Supports both portrait and landscape device orientation
* Includes 200 gorgeous color icons for personalizing your records
* Generates two-step verification (TOTP) codes
* Scans QR codes with main camera
* Store sensitive Image and PDF files
Use Stronger Passwords:
* Codebook helps you remember stronger passwords, but also to generate them
* The password generator allows you to generate random passwords from several common character sets, and adjusts for bias
* The password generator also supports Diceware passwords—both the Reinhold and Electronic Frontier Foundation variants
* Personalize categories to match your organizational style
* Customize your entries including usernames, passwords, websites, notes and create your own fields and labels
* Note records can be created in any category to store free-form text
* Store any information you want--no restrictive templates!
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. SSH, AFP, SFTP) to launch other applications directly
* Star your Favorites to get at them quickly and sort them to the top of search results
Encryption and Password Protection:
* Uses the open source, encrypted database engine SQLCipher
* 256-bit AES encryption in CBC mode protects all of your data
* 64,000 rounds of PBKDF2 SHA-1 key derivation
* Every encrypted database has its own random initialization vector
* Every page of storage has its own random initialization vector and HMAC protection
* Hardware-accelerated using CommonCrypto for speed and reduced battery consumption
More details are available at: https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/
Sync with your Desktop:
Codebook for iOS is designed to work seamlessly with Codebook for macOS and Windows, sold separately. Sync your information with Codebook on your desktop for easy editing, data backup, import and export, integration with other apps and more. Check out https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/ for more details and a product tour for all platforms we support.
If you don't use Codebook desktop you can still backup your Codebook database for free using the Drive and Dropbox sync features.
Note: this version will not sync with earlier versions of Codebook, please update to 4.4 on all of your devices.
* Adds support for adding Image and PDF attachments to Entry records, see Blog Post for more info
* Updates Dropbox API
* Improves error handling and cancellation during Desktop WiFi Sync
* Improves progress reporting during Sync
* Improves responsiveness of the Cancel button during Sync
* Improves handling of uploading larger changeset files (over 150MB) to Dropbox
* Checks for available space on local device before downloading changesets during Sync
* Adds a new progress indicator for long-running editing operations (descriptive message displayed if operation is longer than 2 seconds)
* Fixes instances of the interface becoming unresponsive during Sync
* Fixes race condition on cancel in Note Field editor preventing restoration of the original note text
* Password AutoFill now supports remaining unlocked after login until host app resigns (see new Settings button in the Codebook AutoFill interface)
* Fixes timer that displays a Need Help? button on the Sync view if response takes longer than 10 seconds
* Fixes potential crash that could occur when updating remotes during getting started
* Fixes crash that could occur when deleting entries on iPad
Ratings and Reviews
Still a class act after many years
My wife and I were introduced to STRIP a number of years ago when we were still using Palm Pilots. Our data made it across onto the iphone platform without any problem, and the app continues to give us peace of mind that our data is secure--not just passwords, but all kinds of important stuff. I very recently had an occasion to test the customer service of Zetetic, the app's developer. My email elicited a very quick response that reflected a careful reading of my description of the problem and provided a clear set of instructions for solving it. They followed up a day or so later to see if my application of the instructions had been successful, Altogether a class act. Consistent use of this app makes it remarkably easy to keep our data safe. The only improvement I can think of would be a field type or types that would store photographs or pdf’s.
Long Time User Since Original Codebook
Love this app. I used to use the original Codebook app when it first came out on the iPod touches years ago. I loved it. I redownloaded the old Codebook and then stumbled upon their new Codebook app. Apparently the old Codebook is no longer supported by Dropbox, and with my large amount of notes on the old app I decided to migrate them into the new Codebook version. I’m super interested in purchasing the full version, especially knowing it’s not only a password keeper app but also where I can keep my private notes and ideas. However, my greatest complaint is the lack of dates on the notes. I have so many notes that migrated over, however none have any dates as to when I first wrote them. Instead, all the notes are categorized by alphabetical order. I love they kept with the old simple note style, but I strongly prefer the old original Codebook version that categorized notes by date order. Unless I was still able to see the date recorded as to when I first created that note, this app could have been perfect and I would’ve been more than happy to dish out for the paid version.
It’s such a minor thing too, you would think they’d let you categorize your notes by date created.
Developer Response ,
Hi Simply Claire,
Thanks very much for your support of Codebook and for writing this review. There's a view within Codebook called the Journal view, and it closely mimics the old Codebook (Secure Notebook) interface. Within this view you can sort your notes by created or updated date. It's located under [More] > Journal. You can edit your tab bar order (at the bottom of the screen) to have the Journal view first, so when you first launch Codebook it will be displayed right away. To do this, tap the [More] tab bar icon, tap edit in the upper right hand corner, then drag the Journal into the first position (replacing Categories). We'd be happy to assist if you have any questions when attempting these steps. Please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com
Excellent Password Manager full of options
I’ve been using this password manager for years and I love it. I will however say it’s for the technically savvy. If you’re only using it locally (e.g. one iPad) then I would say everything is easy. However if you plan to sync via cloud services you have to go through a few steps, and remember to always sync. It does not automatically sync to the cloud.
The most important feature they have is giving me the choice of where the database is stored. There is no option to store the database with Codebook servers because it’s not a service they offer. Instead I can keep the database totally within my ecosystem by using the WiFi sync option. Since I at least have trust in Codebook encryption security, I’ve chosen to sync via Dropbox. But the beauty of this is it’s my Dropbox account.
My takeaway of the above is since Codebook doesn’t have servers, the hackers are unlikely to bother trying to hack Codebook encryption. First they’ve have to crack Codebook encryption technology, but it would only be useful when they find where users have stored the database. This is the most clever solution for a password manager that I’ve come across!
Keep up the great work Codebook team!
p.s. Their support team is super responsive! I’ve contact them a handful of times with questions and almost always get a thorough response the same day!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Zetetic LLC
- 117.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Zetetic, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Codebook Pro for iOS $9.99
- Free Trial $0.00
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.