The recording app used by multi-platinum band Gorillaz on their album 'The Fall'
StudioMini is a powerful yet easy to use multitrack recorder with pro quality audio, audio loops & much more.
- PRO AUDIO QUALITY: Records in 44.1 kHz / 16 bit pro quality audio, the crystal clear and uncompressed standard.
- WAV AUDIO FILES: Records WAV audio files, the universally used Linear PCM format. Recorded files and loops will work on any computer with any audio software.
- MULTITRACKING: Multitrack record on 4 tracks.
- INPUT MONITORING: Listen to audio input in real time through StudioMini with the lowest latency your device can handle.
- AUDIO LOOPS: Additional loops track with 78 built-in professionally produced loops spanning 13 styles of music. Includes BPM display.
- METRONOME: Part of the loops track, and sampled from a classic metronome to sound like the real thing.
- MIXDOWN: Create final mixes in the WAV or AAC formats. Download to your computer, or email right from your iPhone.
- SYNC: Download your files to your computer using Wi-Fi Sync or iTunes File Sharing.
- IMPORT: Add files into StudioMini from your Music Library, or through iTunes File Sharing and then import into StudioMini tracks.
- NOTES: Each song comes with a notepad for keeping track of notes, lyrics, chord progressions etc.
- SOLO, MUTE, RECORD ENABLE BUTTONS: Available for each track, just like on professional hardware mixers.
- STATUS LEDS: Simulated LEDs lights on top of each track indicate whether the track has a recording on it, to help prevent recording over good takes.
- TUNER: Pitch reference tuner.
- COUNT-IN: Sets up the tempo before recording starts to keep you in perfect time.
- MULTIPLE SONG FILES: Record and save as many songs as your device can fit.
- PRO AUDIO TIMING: Pro audio synchronization and latency compensation.
- DELETE PROTECTION: Confirmation checks for track and song deletes, to prevent erasing accidentally.
- TIMELINE: Timeline slider enables moving back and forth to any spot in the song.
- PRO MIXER FADERS & METERS: Calibrated faders and meters for adjusting and monitoring track audio levels.
- REPEAT SONG SWITCH: Turn song repeat on/off.
- USER MANUAL: Full 33 page pdf manual that's bundled in StudioMini. Read it in StudioMini, or open in iBooks or any pdf reader/editor app.
StudioMini includes a collection of 78 loops spanning 13 styles. These audio tracks are professionally produced and are only available with StudioMini. There are no repetitive 1 bar loops that sound dated or cheesy, these are new and inspiring 4 to 8 bar patterns that sound real and “feel” right.
- Acoustic Pop Rock
- Modern Rock
- Classic Rock
- Reggae / Ska
- R&B / Hip Hop
- Latin / Brazilian
Examples of what you can do with StudioMini:
- Record a song with your band. Connect with a mixer and use professional studio microphones to record your next hit with StudioMini, then create an AAC mix and email it straight from your iPhone.
- Keep track of your songwriting ideas, riffs, raps, whatever you like. Never loose that great idea again.
- Use it for practicing: record some chords, then practice your scales, improvisation, a song you’re learning, etc. Or just use the metronome & drum grooves to keep you in time while you practice.
- Use it as a field recorder. Record a lecture, your band's rehearsal, keep track of your thoughts.
- Record a cover song and show off your vocals: pick a loop, have a friend play guitar (keys, synth etc.), add a bass line and then sing or rap over it.
Stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Worth it even if you have others
Great app for throwing ideas together, love the simplicity of it. There are some features I do wish it had (like a way to scroll trough time to listen to specific parts* or cut /trim audio segments..) but I also feel like being limited is part of the point of the app. I find that this works very well at what it does. Not a full studio, nor do I think it was it intended to be one, but it’s a wonderful tool and worth having for brainstorming ideas or recording demos.
I wish there was a deluxe version too, love being able to work so quickly when creating, but would be great to be able to have a little more editing ability or at least a scrolling ability so you could punch in at or listen to certain points and not have to start over each time
*Edit: I can’t believe I’ve been using the app this long and didn’t catch that you can scroll through playback- I still think it’d be handy to be able to use that to start recording at a particular point in the song - another suggestion would be having the loop track also have recording function so you could use that as either a loop or a 5th track?
Overall I really love this app and have no complaints, I was hesitant but had I known how much I’d end up using and enjoying it.. totally worth it. Thanks for making a cool product.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! We listen very carefully to our users, and we greatly appreciate the time you took to write. You have definitely described our philosophy for StudioMini: rock solid reliability, very easy to use, and super fast when it comes to starting a recording.
You can actually scroll currently during Playback, simply move the Timeline slider on bottom left. As far as Punch (the ability to record at any point on the timeline), we will be bringing this feature to StudioMini soon, so stay tuned on that. We're also evaluating adding editing features like trimming, but not sure where we'll land on that. You can always reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org with more feedback or if you need help with anything.
Never Reviewed An App
Seriously, this thing is more powerful than most studios in the 90’s. I am amazed at how light and powerful this DAW is. It turns my iPhone 7+ into a recording machine that is quick, efficient, and easy to migrate products from. 5 stars, two thumbs, etc. Et al.
Edit: One year and a half later I apparently forgot that I ever wrote a review for this and came here to say that I have never reviewed an app before and— but apparently I have.
I still love Studio Mini, I have made so many songs on this and it’s really simple to use for getting started with learning DAWs and continues being useful even after. I moved internationally and had to leave a lot of my gear behind but luckily I still had this until I can actually get some amps and mics.
I was looking for a pocket sized mic for an iPhone 6, and this works reasonably well. I’ve recorded live Music and solo home guitar/singing, comes out better than the internal mic (less hollow, boomy). It does a good job rejecting crowd noise in public.
Several times I’ve recorded and found out it was distorted, once when within about 8 feet of a PA, and once from a loud outdoor concert. Also vocals up close will distort, including normal speaking volume.
The “dead cat” wind screen works great, I often record outside with it and without it the wind noise makes the recording unusable even in light wind.
- Otreus Inc.
- 211.9 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2017 Otreus Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.