The powerful plain text and source editor thats native on macOS. Free and open source.
The app that started the collaborative editing revolution is back. Write articles, code, notes or meeting minutes with friends – wherever they are. Ideal for extreme programming sessions.
SubEthaEdit kickstarted collaborative editing with its easy and immediate way to connect and edit. Just add your co-workers to the document and start typing. No complicated setup, browser or Internet required.
2003 Apple Design Award Winner.
• Extensible architecture for custom modes for your favorite language or format
• Regular expression search and replace
• Extensive support for converting and reading text-encodings
• Bracket matching
• Code folding
• Autocomplete based on your content
• Word counter, invisible characters
• Collaboration over the Internet or the local network
• Read-only mode for network documents
• Public and private network documents
• New Option: Show inconsistent indentations - easily see mixed use of tabs and spaces.
• New Option: System monospaced Font is now available in the style preferences.
Bug fixes and maintenance:
• Fixed issue with style preferences that could lead to the font change not being taken.
• Markdown preview: Fixed wrong table header colors in light mode
• Markdown preview: Fixed incorrect stripping of leading whitespace in code blocks
• Improved Bash mode: Added support for heredoc strings
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Long Live SubEthaEdit
I've been using SEE for ages and was a little disappointed when I saw that it had become a free application, assuming the Developer would let it die. That MOST DEFINITELY does not seem to be the case. This is one of my favorite tools for development when a full-featured IDE is a bit too much and is my preferred native MacOS text to editor. Seeing it in the list of recently updated applications today and reading the patch notes brought a big smile to my face knowing that SEE is not dead. Thank you!
Nice and clean editor, missing column-mode
This is a very nice and clean editor that I like quite a bit. It's also fast. What's a bother is that it doesn't have good column mode editing. TextMate for example has an ingeniously intuitive column mode where you can simply option-select or mouse click select and then edit multiple lines at once, even when moving to the end of the line to keep editing. SubEthaEdit is trying that but its block mode isn't working well at all. I sincerely hope that the developers can iron out those quirks and also give it better brace/parenthesis/bracket matching.
The best text editor ever!
Ever since I've had a mac, I've used this app. Hands down, best text editor. Also, support is outstanding.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.