The powerful plain text and source editor thats native on macOS. Free and open source.
The app that started the collaborative editing revolution is back. Write articles, code, notes or meeting minutes with friends – wherever they are. Ideal for extreme programming sessions.
SubEthaEdit kickstarted collaborative editing with its easy and immediate way to connect and edit. Just add your co-workers to the document and start typing. No complicated setup, browser or Internet required.
2003 Apple Design Award Winner.
• Extensible architecture for custom modes for your favorite language or format
• Regular expression search and replace
• Extensive support for converting and reading text-encodings
• Bracket matching
• Code folding
• Autocomplete based on your content
• Word counter, invisible characters
• Collaboration over the Internet or the local network
• Read-only mode for network documents
• Public and private network documents
Bugfixes and Maintenance:
• Fixed an issue where default Avatars would look too contrasty in dark appearance
• Fixed top status bar text readability on live light/dark appearance change
• Fixed an issue where invitation windows needed to be dismissed twice to deny the invitation
• Updated the certificate for the `see` tool installer
• Fixed a rare crasher in TCMPortMapper
• bash - improved indenting, handling of escaped strings and variables
New In 5.1:
• Switched to native macOS window tabs, removed PSMTabBarControl
• Improved Regular Expression features and speed. See Help > Regular Expressions for updated documentation and additional capabilities
• Improved security dialogs and `see` command line tool for future releases of macOS
• `see` command line tool now follows symlinks
Bug fixes and maintenance:
• Updated underlying RegEX Library (origuruma-mod) to onigmo 6.2
• Updated OgreKit to 3.0.2
• Fixed cascading of new windows to be of proper height and location
• Fixed top status bar to use fixed width at start for less jitter
• Blur behind bars now properly created using NSVisualEffectView
• Improved performance in general and for big font choices especially
• Upped minimum deployment version to macOS High Sierra and cleaned out dead code
• Moved all code to ARC (Automatic Reference Counting)
• Fixed remaining false colored dialogs and windows for dark mode
• Markdown – improved syntax highlighting of code blocks
• HTML - improved symbol recognition
Ratings and Reviews
The best text editor ever!
Ever since I've had a mac, I've used this app. Hands down, best text editor. Also, support is outstanding.
Excellent light editor
It is the perfect lightweight alternate to my main IDE. Block Edit functionality is excellent. Simultaneously view/edit different portions of the same file in split screen or separate windows (SHIFT CMD N). Effective search and replace. Change language syntax highlighting, file line endings and character encodings directly on the footer status bar. Collaborative editing is nice to have, though rarely used.
Crashes within moments of trying to open. I'll change my review If there is an update that fixes the problems I'm having with it. I'll also consider changing the review if I can just figure out what is making it crash.
Developer Response ,
Sorry to hear that. Does this still happen to you with version 5.1.1? Sadly we are not seeing any significant Crash reports to that end in our tools, so if you'd be so helpful to send us your crash information to firstname.lastname@example.org that would be greatly appreciated.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.