- Fixed various bugs in the rules
Ratings and Reviews
Very impressed overall. I've played around 15 online games and 100+ offline. Very few crashes, and those don't affect the game when it happens, just reboot and pick up where you left off. Love the game for the strategy and variety. App has good artwork, sounds, and is pretty easy to use and understand. After owning and playing the board version, it's very nice to have a computer that interprets the rules consistently and correctly. 4.5 stars from me for the following downers:
1. No undo button. Understandable, but could be a tad more forgiving to new players.
2. One turn of bad/good rolling can decide the game. Not an app problem, just inherent in the game.
3. Only rule oops I can find is with Sunderved's mountain warriors not persisting in having a +1 attack bonus on the opponents side. Only works 1-2 times, but I believe should always happen.
4. No way to communicate in-game with opponents. This would be nice for the guys that I've played 10+ competitive games with, but can't chat with or set up our own deck-specific challenges or something.
5. Board game rules include optional 4-player game rules. I WOULD LOVE FOR THE APP TO HAVE THAT TOO.
Minor UI issue
Great method of confirming move and attack. Needs same confirmation method for placement. Several times cards get dropped where I didn’t want them. I’ve also had issues where reading card text triggered abilities that I didn’t want. Some of these will go away as I learn the cards, but it’s a barrier to learning the game.
Other than that, it’s worth buying the decks. Pass and Play works great too.
Not a good marketing tool
This game gets a lot of love among reviewers. Split opinions on chat boards. I wanted to see what it was about.
The app itself was clunky, with some uncertainty on how things should be done. The absence of a random deck option, especially when against an AI opponent, is disappointing.
Moreso, this free version is meant to engage me with the game and encourage me to buy more decks or to buy the tabletop game. The Phoenix Elves, the only free deck, appear to be a blunt and unstrategic race. The AI is very simple, I won my tutorial game and every game thereafter, so there is absolutely zero push to understand the intricacies and nuances of the game.
Is there a fun game here? Maybe. Lots of people seem to think so. Am I going to spend more money to find out if it will be worth it?
Not inspired to find out more. Perhaps I would have paid 2.99 for an app with several decks unlocked, and perhaps that would have been a better introduction.
- Playdek, Inc.
- 104.1 MB
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2012 Plaid Hat Games, 2012 Playdek, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Sneeks Default Deck $0.99
- Vlox Default Deck $0.99
- Ret-Talus Default Deck $0.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.