PocketTactics.com’s Game of the Year, 2012
PocketTactics.com’s Multiplayer Game of the Year, 2012
VideoGameGeek.com’s Golden Geek Award, Best Mobile/Handheld game 2012
Gamezebo’s #1 Board/Card game of 2012
“An out-of-the-gate smash success.” – Gameshark.com
“I just keep playing this!” – Dicetower.com
“It was so much fun, it was all I could think about.” – Drakesflames.blogspot.com
Summoner Wars for iOS is a digital card game with all the tactical elements of a board game. Summoner Wars for iOS allows players to control the Phoenix Elves faction and battle against AI opponents or go online to play against others. Nine additional factions such as the Tundra Orcs, Guild Dwarves and Cave Goblins are available through the game’s in-app store. For those who wish to take the game to the next level, a deck-editor allows players to select the cards in their factions and reinforcements to build a custom deck to play with, within the confines of the rules. Changing cards can affect game play, making the game infinitely customizable.
A Playdek online account is required to play online.
Summoner Wars is a popular fantasy card game where players take on the role of a Summoner. Players cast spells and summon warriors to a battlefield and tactically maneuver them in an effort to defeat their opponent’s summoner. Summoner Wars offers many faction decks for players to choose from, like the precise Phoenix Elves, the hordes of Cave Goblins, or the righteous Vanguards. Each faction offers unique play and requires players to adapt to the special strategies available to that faction. Summoner Wars the card game was released in 2009 and has received critical acclaim from a variety of board game review sites.
• Phoenix Elves Faction and reinforcements included
• Factions and their reinforcement cards are included in a purchase
• 6 AI opponents
• 9 factions to purchase
• Mercenary Card pack to purchase
• Plaid Hat promo cards included in Mercenary Card pack
• Tutorial, Card Gallery and Rule Book
• Pass-and-play multiplayer (2 players)
• Asynchronous or real-time online play (2 players)
• Universal game application – buy once and play on all your devices
• Selectable Online game clocks
• Rematch button for online and offline matches
• “Next Game” button takes you to your next asynchronous online game
• iPhone / iPod 5 screen support
Find us on Facebook and Twitter! Playdek website: www.playdekgames.com
From Playdek, the award-winning publisher and developer
• D&D Lords of Waterdeep
• Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer (Golden Geek, 2011 – Boardgamegeek.com)
• Food Fight iOS
• Penny Arcade the Game: Gamers vs Evil
• Can’t Stop
- Fixed various bugs in the rules
Ratings and Reviews
Very impressed overall. I've played around 15 online games and 100+ offline. Very few crashes, and those don't affect the game when it happens, just reboot and pick up where you left off. Love the game for the strategy and variety. App has good artwork, sounds, and is pretty easy to use and understand. After owning and playing the board version, it's very nice to have a computer that interprets the rules consistently and correctly. 4.5 stars from me for the following downers:
1. No undo button. Understandable, but could be a tad more forgiving to new players.
2. One turn of bad/good rolling can decide the game. Not an app problem, just inherent in the game.
3. Only rule oops I can find is with Sunderved's mountain warriors not persisting in having a +1 attack bonus on the opponents side. Only works 1-2 times, but I believe should always happen.
4. No way to communicate in-game with opponents. This would be nice for the guys that I've played 10+ competitive games with, but can't chat with or set up our own deck-specific challenges or something.
5. Board game rules include optional 4-player game rules. I WOULD LOVE FOR THE APP TO HAVE THAT TOO.
Great game but broken
Great implementation of the game. Push notifications no longer work for me though. I have checked my settings and have tried reinstalling the app, but I still don't receive notifications when somebody takes their turn. I've tried contacting tech support about the issue, but I never heard back from them. Not having notifications means I have no idea if somebody has made their move unless I manually check.
Not a good marketing tool
This game gets a lot of love among reviewers. Split opinions on chat boards. I wanted to see what it was about.
The app itself was clunky, with some uncertainty on how things should be done. The absence of a random deck option, especially when against an AI opponent, is disappointing.
Moreso, this free version is meant to engage me with the game and encourage me to buy more decks or to buy the tabletop game. The Phoenix Elves, the only free deck, appear to be a blunt and unstrategic race. The AI is very simple, I won my tutorial game and every game thereafter, so there is absolutely zero push to understand the intricacies and nuances of the game.
Is there a fun game here? Maybe. Lots of people seem to think so. Am I going to spend more money to find out if it will be worth it?
Not inspired to find out more. Perhaps I would have paid 2.99 for an app with several decks unlocked, and perhaps that would have been a better introduction.
- Playdek, Inc.
- 104.1 MB
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2012 Plaid Hat Games, 2012 Playdek, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Everything Bundle 1 $7.99
- 9 Faction bundle + Mercenary Pack 1 $4.99
- 6 New Factions Bundle $3.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.