Sun Surveyor Lite takes the mystery out of the sunrise, sunset and magic hours, helping photographers and filmmakers scout the best locations, plan effectively, and get the perfect shot. Solar Industry (PV) Professionals, architects, real estate agents, and gardeners will also find a wealth of empowering, interactive features.
The 3D Compass and detailed Ephemeris provide a wealth of information about the largest natural light source in the galaxy:
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise & sunset
- Visualize the sun's path throughout the day or through the year
- Visual time machine - take a quick glance at the light for a day, or dial in desired compositions easily
- Twilight times - civil, nautical, astronomical
- Solstice and Equinox visualization
- Sun shadow information - calculate the length of shadows cast by objects
- Magnetic declination compensation
Check out the Full Version of Sun Surveyor for more:
- Live Camera View - augmented reality projections of the sun and moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Interactive Map View - plan a remote shot or PV array placement, interact with a top-down perspective of sun and moon paths and events
- Street View Panoramas - 360 degree spherical panoramas with selected sun, moon and milky way events overlaid, where available
- Moon Information: moon position, moonrise, moonset, moon phases, apogee, perigee, distance and a Super Moon finder
- Show clients the quality and quantity of seasonal sunlight at a remote location
- Understand potential shade of surroundings and discover any obstructions
- Create images of the summer and winter Solstice & Equinox paths for a site
- Prepare night photography shots with the Milky Way & star trail features
- Offline usage (excludes Map View, Street View) - enter coordinates, save & load locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Measure distance, and difference between elevations, and vertical angle differentials with the Map view
- Import and export Google Earth .kmz/.kml locations
- Performance improvements and fixes for iOS 12
- Brought over the latest changes from the full version
- Brand new visualization engine - much more detail and faster performance
- (new!) Light Map: shows a filled area of light spanning the Summer and Winter Solstices when Solstice visualization is enabled from the Solstices & Equinoxes info panel; Use this for PV applications and real estate (ex. line it up with a window) -- this area represents where the sun will be throughout the year, anything outside of it, the sun will never be there!
- The Light Map also shows the Solar Analemma - for each hour, the figure-8 looking graph of the sun's position as it appears on every day of the year
- (new!) Display mode button for combinations of the celestial sphere, standard horizontal grid, sun + moon paths below the horizon
- (new!) 3D Compass: added control to toggle motion sensors; when off, you can manually orient the display with finger gestures
Ratings and Reviews
This is a review of the Lite version, the full currently costs about $6 USD.
The 3D Compass is a very neat toy to help locate the sun.
The details of the sun position can be very useful for everything from picnicking, to hunting/fishing, to photography.
The help file is a bit lacking. There are a few features on the compass not properly detailed in the file.
If you're looking for app to track the sun, this will work fine.
Sun off by more than 10 degrees
This app is very nice, except for the fsct that the sun is reading more than 10 degrees to the left than where it actually is in the sky. Other astronomy apps I use give the correct azimuth reading. There is no way the sun can be at solar noon at azimuth 163 degrees. It always is at 180, unless the app takes into consideration your street’s orientation from true north??? Not worth buying the full version until this can get resolved, if another app update wver gets pushed out, that is...
Very simple to use / great info and graphics
Easy install and really no set up. Great for figuring out the sun path over your house during different times of the year for landscaping planning.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Adam Ratana
- 145.1 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2018 Adam Ratana
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.