Updated for iOS 17 - over twelve years of being your personal guide to the sun, moon, and milky way!
Sun Surveyor takes the mystery out of the sunrise, sunset, and moon phases, allowing photographers and filmmakers to scout the best locations, plan effectively, and get the perfect shot.
The Live Camera View, Interactive Map (with Street View), 3D Compass, and detailed Ephemeris provide a wealth of information about the largest natural light source in the galaxy, as well as the moon, and milky way:
- View augmented reality projections of the sun and moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Prepare night photography shots with the Milky Way & star trail features
Solar Industry (PV) Professionals, architects, real estate agents, and gardeners will also find a wealth of empowering interactive features:
- Show clients the quality and quantity of seasonal sunlight at a given location
- Understand potential shade of surroundings and discover any obstructions
- Create images of the summer and winter Solstice & Equinox paths for a site
- Photo Opportunities - an interactive listing of critical times to help inspire and generate shot ideas; including the full moon looming low in the sky during magic hour, total darkness for stargazing, and more
- Position Search - an extremely powerful tool to search for sun, moon and milky way center positions within various constraints, for the perfectionist planner
- Widgets - plenty of configurable widgets for your home screen and today view (iOS 14+)
- Visual time machine - take a quick glance at the light for a day, or dial in desired compositions easily
- Moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon predictions
- Sun shadow information - calculate the length of shadows cast by objects
- Helpful video tutorials show how to use all of the app's modules and how to shoot specific types of scenes
- Share details and locations with clients and colleagues
- Offline usage (excludes Map View, Street View) - enter coordinates, save & load locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Measure distance, and difference between elevations, and vertical angle differentials with the Map view
- Import and export Google Earth .kmz/.kml locations
- Magnetic declination compensation
- "Today" Widget - (for the pull-down notification center) shows rise and set times for the current location and the next upcoming sun event
- Languages: English, Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, Català, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, 中文 (繁體), 中文 (简体), 한국의, čeština, Türkçe, Português (Portugal & Brasil), Polski
- Minor fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
So Many Uses!
I use this app all the time and for so many things. Of course it’s great for photography planning, but I use it much more for trip planning. What time will the sun be setting in Rome when I’m there next year? Great, I’ll make dinner reservations for half an hour before that.
How many hours of daylight will there be for that upcoming road trip? Or what’s the difference in day lengths between solstices in that part of the world?When and where exactly will the super moon come over the horizon into view? Easy peasy.
I use Sun Surveyor every time I go camping to pick the spot with the best morning shade. Or to find the best seats at an outdoor concert. Once you have the app, you will find dozens of uses for it. I use it so frequently it lives on the first page of my Home Screen. Excellent app. Enjoy!
Amazing sun tracker
I mainly purchased this years ago for helping me visualize sun and moon paths, as well as occasional photography help. The astounding level of information and tool packed into this app have exceeded my needs and expectations, and it continues to improve over the years with regular free updates.
Photographers will find this to be an essential tool, and I assume many others as well. But if like me, you're just a nerd looking to orient yourself to the motions of the solar system, this app excels at that too.
The best thing about this app is the multiple perspectives it offers— first-person perspective with celestial bodies overlaid on the live camera; the "astronaut's-view" 3D compass; and for a remote-viewing experience, the Street View perspective.
There is an astounding level of data about the sun and moon at your fingertips as well. But I mainly like the visualization tools.
I can't imagine anything else you'd need in a sun tracker app, and would guess you'll find stuff included you didn't even know you'd want.
100% worth the money!!
I have used this app so many times it's not funny!! This app is spot on with what time the sun rises and sets in various locations. It's option of using a satellite view of a potential location, live view for a location at a later time, and compass view are all amazing. It gives blue hour for both am and pm, plus sunrise and sunset, moonrise and moon set and SOOO MUCH MORE!!! Plus, the app's predicted placement of the sun at specific times is SPOT ON ACCURATE!! It makes it so much easier to plan shoots when one knows where the sun is going to be!! I absolutely love this app and its 100% worth the money!!!!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Adam Ratana
- 60.5 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2011-2024 Adam Ratana
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.