Sun Surveyor takes the mystery out of the sunrise, sunset, and moon phases, allowing photographers and filmmakers to scout the best locations, plan effectively, and get the perfect shot.
The Live Camera View, Interactive Map (with Street View), 3D Compass, and detailed Ephemeris provide a wealth of information about the largest natural light source in the galaxy, as well as the moon, and milky way:
- View augmented reality projections of the sun and moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Prepare night photography shots with the Milky Way & star trail features
Solar Industry (PV) Professionals, architects, real estate agents, and gardeners will also find a wealth of empowering interactive features:
- Show clients the quality and quantity of seasonal sunlight at a given location
- Understand potential shade of surroundings and discover any obstructions
- Create images of the summer and winter Solstice & Equinox paths for a site
- Photo Opportunities - an interactive listing of critical times to help inspire and generate shot ideas; including the full moon looming low in the sky during magic hour, total darkness for stargazing, and more
- Position Search - an extremely powerful tool to search for sun, moon and milky way center positions within various constraints, for the perfectionist planner
- "Today" Widget - (for the pull-down notification center) shows rise and set times for the current location and the next upcoming sun event
- Visual time machine - take a quick glance at the light for a day, or dial in desired compositions easily
- Moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon predictions
- Sun shadow information - calculate the length of shadows cast by objects
- Helpful video tutorials show how to use all of the app's modules and how to shoot specific types of scenes
- Share details and locations with clients and colleagues
- Offline usage (excludes Map View, Street View) - enter coordinates, save & load locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Measure distance, and difference between elevations, and vertical angle differentials with the Map view
- Import and export Google Earth .kmz/.kml locations
- Magnetic declination compensation
- Languages: English, Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, Català, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, 中文 (繁體), 中文 (简体), 한국의, čeština, Türkçe, Português (Portugal & Brasil), Polski
- Updated to the latest Maps and Places SDKs
- World Magnetic Model update (2015-2020 v2)
- Bugfix for rise and set arrows not showing on Today widget
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing sun tracker
I mainly purchased this years ago for helping me visualize sun and moon paths, as well as occasional photography help. The astounding level of information and tool packed into this app have exceeded my needs and expectations, and it continues to improve over the years with regular free updates.
Photographers will find this to be an essential tool, and I assume many others as well. But if like me, you're just a nerd looking to orient yourself to the motions of the solar system, this app excels at that too.
The best thing about this app is the multiple perspectives it offers— first-person perspective with celestial bodies overlaid on the live camera; the "astronaut's-view" 3D compass; and for a remote-viewing experience, the Street View perspective.
There is an astounding level of data about the sun and moon at your fingertips as well. But I mainly like the visualization tools.
I can't imagine anything else you'd need in a sun tracker app, and would guess you'll find stuff included you didn't even know you'd want.
100% worth the money!!
I have used this app so many times it's not funny!! This app is spot on with what time the sun rises and sets in various locations. It's option of using a satellite view of a potential location, live view for a location at a later time, and compass view are all amazing. It gives blue hour for both am and pm, plus sunrise and sunset, moonrise and moon set and SOOO MUCH MORE!!! Plus, the app's predicted placement of the sun at specific times is SPOT ON ACCURATE!! It makes it so much easier to plan shoots when one knows where the sun is going to be!! I absolutely love this app and its 100% worth the money!!!!!
This tool has just about everything you could ask for. Use it to plan ahead for photo/video shoots, know exactly how much time you’ll have for light, and know exactly when the moon will be in just the right spot over your nighttime subject. It even tells you when/where the Milky Way will rise and when to get the clearest shot.
I love using it while planting my garden. Now I know how many hours of sun each area will get on any given day of the year.
Only thing I could see them adding is a constellation overlay. That would blow me away.
- Adam Ratana
- 150.1 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPad.
English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Adam Ratana
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.