Sunny16 is a fun, easy to use exposure calculator that implements the Sunny 16 exposure rule and then some. This app is ideal for anyone with a film or digital camera with an M (manual) mode who wants a quick tool to help set up the perfect exposure or anyone who wants to understand the relationships between the elements that create a properly exposed image.
Sunny 16 is a basic photographic exposure rule that works like this: If it’s sunny set your aperture to f/16 and your shutter speed to the reciprocal of your film speed. Huh? Exactly! That's why we created Sunny16. To put it another way, if your film speed (ISO) is 200 set your shutter speed to 1/200 and your aperture to f/16. But what if you want to shoot at f/8? What if it's not quite sunny? What about heavy overcast? What if you want to shoot at 1/1000? Sunny16 answers all of those questions with just a tap.
• Equivalent Exposures: see the full range of equivalent exposures (also known as reciprocal exposures) for any film speed under natural lighting conditions.
• Exposure Compensation: easily compensate +/- up to 5 stops for backlight or other common lighting conditions.
• Implicit Priority Modes: if you set the shutter speed and then change the ISO, the lighting condition, or the exposure compensation, the shutter speed will remain the same and the f/stop will change (shutter priority). And vice versa for aperture priority.
• Limits: if a particular shutter speed or f/stop is not available for the conditions you specify you won't be able to select it (you can try but the picker will politely roll back to a correct exposure).
• Stop Increment: full, 1/2, or 1/3 stops.
• Lighting: naturally occurring lighting conditions expressed in EV 100. Don't worry if you don't know or care what EV is, just use the descriptions.
• ISO: film speed from 6 to 102400.
• Shutter Speeds: from 1/16000 to 30"
• f/stops: from 1 to 32
Supports dark mode.
This version requires iOS 8 or later.
Please consider reviewing our app.
We will never interrupt you in-app for reviews or ratings.
Ratings and Reviews
Great instant reference
Easy access to interactive table. Replaces a laminated chart I had. You could always do the conversions in your head but this just helps in verification of settings.
Great app. Easy to use.
Great replacement for the paper chart I've been carrying. I really like being able to adjust the exposure compensation (EV). I have a few lenses that consistently over or under exposure by a as much as a full stop.
I do wish it went down to EV -4 to include moon/star lit exposures.
Again, great app. Thanks!!
Thanks for the update!
Great quick way to set ISO without a meter. Thanks!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Signature Software Ltd.
- 1.8 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Signature Software Ltd.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.