Swift Playgrounds is a revolutionary app that makes it fun to learn and experiment with code. You solve interactive puzzles in the guided “Learn to Code” lessons to master the basics of coding, or experiment with a wide range of challenges that let you explore many unique coding experiences.
Swift Playgrounds requires no coding knowledge, so it’s perfect for students just starting out, from twelve to one-hundred-and-twelve. The whole time you are learning Swift, a powerful programming language created by Apple and used by professionals to build many of today’s most popular apps. And because it’s built to take full advantage of iPad and the real iPadOS SDK, Swift Playgrounds is a first-of-its-kind learning experience.
• Apple-created lessons guide you through the core concepts of programming by using code to solve puzzles
• See your code run in a beautiful, interactive 3D world that you can rotate with a finger and pinch to zoom
• Animations introduce each new coding concept at a high level before you dive into the puzzles
• Choose from three animated characters to carry out the steps of your code
• Glossary and built-in help pages give detailed information about available commands and frameworks
Explore and create
• Challenges offer many new opportunities for creativity by playing with game logic, music, sensors, and more
• Interactive coding shows the results of your code instantly, either beside the text or acted out in the live view
• Step through your code to highlight each line as it is run
• Use your own photos and images within a playground to make it uniquely yours
• Starting points are a head start to create your own playgrounds that use graphs, graphics, touch, or chat with the computer
• Create your own playgrounds from scratch to take your coding skills to entirely new places
• Reset any page to start over, or duplicate and rename any document to give a family member their own copy
Built for touch
• QuickType suggestions let you add multiple lines of code in just a few taps, no keyboard required
• Tap and hold to grab any command and move it around to change the order of your code
• Drag a brace with your finger to wrap a block of code inside a loop or conditional statement
• Drag and drop snippets of commonly-used code directly into your playground
• Tap a color box in your code to display a pop-up color picker
• Coding keyboard has all the common Swift characters, just swipe to pick the alternate symbol on any key
Real Swift and iOS code
• Learn the same powerful Swift programming language used by the pros to create thousands of apps in the App Store
• Access iPadOS frameworks such as SpriteKit for 2D games, SceneKit for 3D graphics, UIKit, and more
• Your code has direct control of iPad hardware such as the gyroscope, accelerometer, camera, and touch events
• Use Bluetooth APIs to write playgrounds that control robots and other real-world devices with your iPad
• Concepts and skills you learn directly apply when writing real apps
• Send your creations to friends and family using Messages, Mail, AirDrop, or other Share Sheet extensions
• Record a video of yourself coding or running your creation, complete with your own voice narration
• Broadcast a coding session live to the world using any streaming service app that supports ReplayKit
• Code suggestions appear faster
Ratings and Reviews
battery drainer, but decent programming intro teaching tool
This app really drains the battery fast.
What and how it teaches seems to be pretty decent and someone should be able to learn the basics.
However, as others have pointed out, it can be sluggish (even on a newer ipad pro) and the using the keyboard and shortcut bar is tricky and can be frustrating. (I find typing and text editing ios generally frustrating anyway, it seems to presume where you need an insertion point rather than putting it where your finger is.)
As a previous reviewer mentioned, this app takes the dullness out of learning how to program. Even as an adult, I am able to enjoy this learning process. I was an amateur programmer in high school, so I believe that for me to say this is a wonderful way to learn and/or brush up your basics for programming logic is quite a statement for what the developers have created.
The team who created this executed the interface in a very intuitive design; something I find quite uncommon with these "learn to program" apps. I would love to help spread the word about this app so it is not abandoned. Kudos to the Apple team!!! Please keep up the awesome work! Even adults need a more stimulating environment for expanding their skill set.
There are a lot of people mentioning device incompatibility and software bugs. I am running this on an iPad Mini 2. The bugs I have encountered are minor and do not interrupt my progress in a truly time consuming way. Typically, the little map won't load, so I will go back to the previous lesson then return and all will load normally.
Awesome app for swift coding
This app is helping me learn a LOT about swift. I’m about to get Xcode on my computer so I REALLY need to learn swift and this app is teaching me everything I need to know for Xcode. The only bug I found was that sometimes the app crashed when I wrote a really long function and a visual error where if you find one of those arched holes inside the island (where water usually comes out from) you can see clear out the other side even though the other side appears solid. I know it’s not that big of a bug, but can you please consider fixing it? I’m just paranoid that it will show up somewhere and I won’t be able to get around it.
Otherwise, GREAT app.
- Apple Inc.
- 402.1 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2016 - 2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.