Augmentative communication has been transformed into a new and better way to bring true understanding to those without language and those who
care about them. Symbol-It™ enables real-time communication with symbol speakers through symbol systems and is intuitive and easy to
● See your spoken language made visible with over 21,000 industry leading picture symbols!
● With Symbol-It™, it becomes easy for all family members, educators, therapists, physicians, and friends to communicate with the Symbol Speakers in your life.
● Symbol-It™ brings the world of spoken language to Symbol Speakers, whether it’s in their home, their school, their community, or anywhere life can lead them.
● Symbol Speakers learn alternative communication more naturally by being immersed in those around them using it in their everyday lives.
● Not familiar with augmentative communication? No problem! Symbol-It™ makes it easy
for all English speakers to naturally speak to the Symbol Speaker in their language.
● Picture symbols are color coded by their part of speech using to the Modified Fitzgerald
color coding system. Nouns are orange, verbs are green, pronouns are yellow, etc.
BACKED BY RESEARCH
● Symbol-It™ is rooted in the idea of Dual-Symbol Immersion from the research of Dr. O’Lenick & Garcia.
● This ground breaking theory suggests that just as spoken language is learned through imitation, Symbol Speakers learn symbols best through interacting with other people speaking both verbal language and picture symbols simultaneously, as opposed to
symbol only interactions.
● Adjust the size of your symbols to meet the needs of your Symbol Speakers. Choose between small, medium, large, and extra large symbol sizes!
● A light and a dark color make the display more comfortable on the eyes.
● Communicate with Symbol Speakers using their symbol system of choice! Symbol-It™ uses
picture symbols from the leading companies in the industry, including Boardmaker, Semantic Compaction/Printke Romich, SymbolStix®, and Smarty Symbols.
● Make your language easier to understand by choosing from over 7 research-backed core vocabulary
● Picture-It makes symbol immersion even easier by enabling you to take a photo of any text with your iOS device's camera and instantly translate the text to AAC symbols!
● Convert photos of worksheets, textbook pages, notes from Grandma, restaurant menus, and more to AAC symbols with just the tap of a button!
Provisional patent. ©SymbolSpeak, LLC 2019.
Terms of Service: https://symbolspeak.co/terms-of-service/
Bug fixes and performance improvements!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is fantastic app. I would like to request, though, having Symbolstix added to the symbol system choices. This is what is used in the ULS/N2Y curriculum. Also, it is what is used in Novachat and Touchchat. These are the AAC devices my students use. It would be much better if the symbol system used in this app matched their curriculum and devices.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the kind words! We’re currently working on acquiring the rights to add SymbolStix to Symbol-It. Stay tuned and we should have more to share in the weeks to come 💫
This is not actually aided language immersion and modeling with AAC, which is done on a device and through using a system alongside students. There is a huge misrepresentation of aided language, as well as flat out encouraging shortcuts (why learn a device when you can do this?) that are unhelpful to our students. I worry that pushing this app as a modeling tool will detract from the actual modeling that needs to happen all day every day.
On top of that, the speech recognition often misses words or misunderstands them. It will put a whole list of prepositions but miss the key word, like pick up. I understand speaking into a phone might be faster than logging on to the computer to make a visual but being able to accurately choose the image (e.g., a picture of someone putting away toys rather than an image of the word clean and the word up) is essential if this were to be used as a visual support.
Working as a speech-language pathologist in the school setting, I can say that this app is amazing!!! I just downloaded it to every device I have and can’t stop thinking of ways to use it to model, create carrier phrases, make quick symbols to go along with a book or activity, get families to communicate with each other more accessibly, etc. This app is extremely easy to use and I can’t wait to add it to the list of tools I have. Thank you for creating something that is so user friendly and will help so many!
- SymbolSpeak LLC
- 83.4 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © SymbolSpeak, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Symbol-It Monthly $4.99
- Symbol-It Pro Monthly $14.99
- Symbol-It Yearly $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.