I guess you already know that Dropbox can only synchronise the files you put inside it's special folder (~/Dropbox).
This app solves this limitation and lets you backup any file or folder from your local drive with Dropbox without moving or duplicating your files.
Simply tell the app that you want to backup additional folders and that's it! Really. You can forget it's there. Your files will not be duplicated, moved or copied from their original location, nothing will change.
• Backup for Dropbox extends the functionality of Dropbox to any folder on your Mac
• Backup and synchronise additional files outside the Dropbox folder
• Easier transfer of files from one device to another (for example, between your Mac and your phone or between two computers)
• Your files will not be duplicated, moved or copied from their original location, no wasted space (the app creates a special connection between the files outside the Dropbox folder on your Mac and the cloud)
• Access your files anywhere, at any time, from any device with Dropbox
We read your support emails every day, day by day.
Write with confidence any question, feedback or complaint and you will receive an answer in a very short period of time.
• Small improvements
Ratings and Reviews
A little slow and buggy, Fairly intuitive, but does the job
All of Alex's apps are usually solid and awesome. However, This one is a little slow, and doesn't allow for doing anything in subfolders, and pinwheels up on you. In the process of using this app I realized that you can replace this app with the ln -s terminal command to do exactly what you want, faster, and with more flexibility. E.g.:
ln -s ~/Documents
will create a shortcut in /Dropbox/Backup linked to documents.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. This application does a lot more than what you suggested to be done in the Terminal - it can list your outside Dropbox folder files, it can create the sync links without knowing exactly where to place them in the Dropbox directory and you can use a friendly interface instead of the geeky Terminal.
If you have other questions or you need more details, just send me a mail to email@example.com and I will gladly help you.
Not worth the money
The insstructions on how to use this are nonexistent. Therefore, I have not been able to figure out how to use it successfully.
Developer Response ,
The app is quite easy to use: just confirm your Dropbox folder and then press the (+) button to add new folders to sync - that's it! You can send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will gladly help you with more details.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.