Tab Notes is a Menu Bar application which keeps your notes tidy and easy to access and your screen uncluttered. Click on your screen edge, then a note pops up!
Watch the demonstration video here ▶ https://vimeo.com/62485482
• Click on your screen's edge to take a note.
• Document file types are conventional RTF (Rich Text) and RTFD (Rich Text with images). Not proprietary format. (This application uses "Comment" property in RTF. )
• RTF documents can be synchronized with iPhone via Dropbox. This means you can view them from any device with Dropbox installed.
• Documents folder can be any folder in your home folder.
• Supports versioning. OSX keeps documents' previous versions. (This app does not contain version browser. Please use TextEdit to browse version files.)
• The app has built-in short term backup system. Changes made to notes will be kept for 3 days in the backup folder (you can open it from the preferences). For more comprehensive backup system, we recommend other application.
• Customisable with original themes created in Tab Notes Theme Editor:
* This application is a "menu bar app". The application icon does not appear in "Dock". Instead it appears in main menu bar. You can change preferences from the icon in the main menu bar.
Q. The application does not open. It does't work.
A. This app is a menu bar app. App icon does not appear in Dock. It is designed to serve you discreetly without occupying Dock space. The application icon appears in the right part of the main menu bar at the top of the screen.
Q. Tab did not appear. Where can I add my notes?
A. Just click the screen edge. Please see the video https://vimeo.com/62485482
Q. It would not let me delete the app.
A. Finder does not let you delete an app that is currently running. Quit the app first. To quit the app, choose Quit from this application's menu in the main menu bar at the top of the screen. (Even though this app may be running, while in stand by, its CPU power usage is almost nothing.)
Q. Isn't there any "Preferences" for this app?
A. Yes there are. The menu icon of this app is located in the right part of the main menu bar at the top of the screen. You can choose this app's Preferences here.
Q. How do I change themes or background colour?
A. Press and hold Control key then click a tab. Contextual menu appears. (Depending on device configurations, right-click on mouse or two finger click on track pad may be used.)
Q. "great concept. worked great for a while…then all of a sudden its gone."
This was compatibility issue with OSX10.9 Mavericks. (Pasted texts were not saved.) It's been fixed now.
Copyright CuteCritters http://www.Tutorial9.net/
Copyright SpoonGraphics http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk
Fix for Mojave
Ratings and Reviews
Nearly perfect stickies alternative and works very well. One of my favorite programs!
I’ve been looking (and looking and looking) for a “stickies” like app that did not operate like a Mack truck. And I just hate the look of the built in Stickies app that comes with MacOS.
One key requirement for me is that it MUST allow creation of a new note from the menu bar. Check! Tab Notes gets the job done and pretty nicely at that. It took some time to get used to the the snapping of notes to the window edge, but now I do like it. Notes are all easily accessible, but out of the way at the same time. Personally, I keep them on a second monitor to avoid distractions on my mail screen.
I did disable the cutesy characters right away though. :) They drove me nuts.
UPDATE: Still loving this after a couple of months. And I recently discovered that Tab Notes can be easily previewed and browsed using Finder. They may also be edited with TextEdit. Awesome!
NOTE: This app is unfortunately NOT compatible with “Popup Window” by the same developer. I do hope the developer makes these compatible in the near future. There’s some obscure way to “import” it into TabNotes but I cannot get any details on that. I also wish the developer would support customers better. Sometimes I try to contact the developer and never get a response back.
Update: Great App & developer support
When I purchased the app, I was amazed how much more productive I became. I use this app all day ( and night ). My only hitch was I couldn’t get a screen grab on my Tab Notes. As a Filemaker developer, I was afraid the problem would be related to the fact that I run 3 monitors, each with several spaces. I complained and the developer contacted me with the solution. Now this app is outstanding and works with multiple monitors and spaces. For anyone that uses the mac “Stickies", but gets disappointed how cluttered and unorganized “Stickies" looks on your desktop , “Tab Notes” is the answer. I would give this app more than 5 stars if I could.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for using Tab Notes, and for taking time to write a review.
Are you talking about “Capture Selection from Screen” service menu item?
What about unchecking “Apply this style to pasted text” in the Default Font setting if you have checked it.
What email address were you using?
Our email addresses are email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
We don’t rejects any emails, and we receive many emails each day from all around the world so we don’t know what happened to your emails.
You’ll be surprised at how much this app can improve your efficiency
I was skeptical on spending $17 on a sticky app, but it was well worth the money — made my life so much easier and convenient. I have multiple research projects going on at the same time, so i wrote all the to-do’s and whatnots by projects, kept on checking them on whichever app I am (I love the preview feature God bless you), and this certainly made everything soooooo accessible. However, after using this for quite a while, I found my problems:
1. I want to toggle between the notes on short cuts
2. I want to be able to rename the notes on short cuts
3. App keeps crashing now and then (although it hasnt been a major problem because not one thing written on the note is lost)
4. Notes keep on moving a little bit — I lined them on the bottommost part of my screen, and the notes rearrange themselves horizontally
Aside from these, I cant find a thing to complain about this app. One of the best apps I’ve ever bought.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.