Tabular is a tablature editor for iPad that lets you read and write music for guitar, bass, drums and much more. It's the best way to learn new songs, write your own music, and run through practice exercises for nearly any kind of stringed instrument or drum kit.
All of your music is neatly organized and managed for you in the app's integrated document library. Your documents will be automatically synced between all of your devices (including the companion app for OS X) using iCloud.
Practice tools allow you to master challenging songs and improve your technique by letting you start off slow and gradually increase the speed after each loop (requires Tabular+ in-app purchase). You can also keep logs of your practice sessions so you always know where you last left off.
• Write music using tablature notation for nearly any stringed instrument with 3 to 12 strings
• Full rendering of the musical staff
• A companion Mac app that stays in sync with iCloud
• A built-in library of common tunings, with the ability to create and save custom tunings (requires Tabular+ in-app purchase)
• Full support for percussion tablature
• Multitrack scores
• MIDI playback with 53 different instrument sounds
• Adjustable playback speed for practicing
• Configurable speed trainer that can increase playback speed after each loop (requires Tabular+ in-app purchase)
• Practice logs to keep track of your progress with a song or exercise (requires Tabular+ in-app purchase)
• Large library of notations including legato, vibrato, bends, grace notes, etc.
• Built-in document library to keep all of your music organized
• Visual fretboard lets you see where each note is played
• Document templates to quickly create new songs using your most common instrument configurations (custom templates require Tabular+ in-app purchase)
• Built-in interactive tutorial
• Import from Guitar Pro 3/4/5 or MIDI file formats
• Export to PDF, MIDI or plain text (ASCII) formats
• Share exported documents on social media, upload them to Dropbox, or email/message them
• Printing support
• Sleek, modern interface built from the ground up exclusively for iOS 7
• Retina support
Tabular is free to download, and can be upgraded to Tabular+ with a one-time in-app purchase. Purchasing Tabular+:
• Adds practice features like the speed trainer
• Removes restrictions on the number of documents, tracks, and measures that can be created
• Allows you to create custom tunings, document templates, and track presets
Tabular is available for iPad and OS X.
Feel free to contact us on our support page at http://chromaticlabs.com/tabular/support if you have any issues or feedback, and if you get a chance, leaving a quick review in the App Store would be very much appreciated! Thanks :)
• Bug fixes.
Apologies for the delay in releasing the next major update. It's still in the works, but is taking longer than expected to finish. I'll do my best to get it out there as soon as possible!
Thanks, and feel free to visit our support page at http://chromaticlabs.com/tabular/support if you have any issues or feedback!
Ratings and Reviews
Works somewhat but keeps crashing
Like the other comments, it randomly crashes and I'm on the latest iOS version 9.5 on the free version. No support that talks about this or how to contact the authors so I'm not going to spend 10 bucks for it!
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AT THIS TIME
I spent several hours working on tabbing out songs in the iPad version, and had everything working the way I wanted it. Then I went to load my work on the OS X version of Tabular as I had the iCloud support enabled on both. OS X version crashed, then showed an empty file when I restarted the app. Closed the OS X version, and switched to the iPad version, and now the app shows an empty document with an activity indicator. I waited 20 minutes, and still nothing.
Since the iPad version hasn't been updated in almost two years, and the OS X version in over a year, I cannot recommend anyone purchase either app at this time. It's a shame, really. I liked the apps very much, and got a lot of use out of them.
I would be willing to try them out again if this developer releases a new update.
Unstable, buggy and unfinished
Constantly crashes in iOS 9.2 on an iPad Air, it's almost unusable. Missing basic functionality like mixed note durations in the same beat. You can't edit an instrument after you pick it initially?! Where are the bug fix updates??
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.