Tag Editor is a handy spreadsheet for batch tagging and renaming audio files. You can download music metadata and album art from the network; load tags from files, paths, and iTunes; rename multiple files simultaneously; edit, cut, copy, paste, find and replace tags.
All these batch actions can be done in one window using keyboard shortcuts and with full control over your changes.
Trial version is available at amvidia.com/tag-editor .
Tag Editor supports ID3 tags for MP3, WAV, AIFF, FLAC formats and MP4 tags for MP4 and M4A (Apple lossless) audio files.
You can edit and load 60+ audio tags, including Album, Album Artist, Artist, Artwork, Comment, Copyright, Disc Number, Genre, Grouping, Key, Lyrics, Title, Track Number, Year, and others. For your convenience, thematic tags are organized into sets of Classical, Commerce, Mood, People, Podcast, and Sorting.
Filenames can be changed in auto or manual mode as well.
15+ technical properties, such as Audio Format, Sample Rate, Bit Rate, Channels, and others can be displayed and used for creation of tags.
TAG EDITOR CAN IN AUTOMATIC MODE
DOWNLOAD TAGS FROM NETWORK: select multiple tracks or entire sheet and load tags from online databases, such as MusicBrainz and CoverArt. You can specify whether to load missing tags or update existing metadata. Tag Editor can identify songs by their fingerprints with use of AcoustID online service.
LOAD TAGS from file names, paths, and iTunes: Tag Editor can extract audio tags from files, folders names, and iTunes library.
RENAME FILES using Track Number, Artist, Title, Album Artist, Album and Year tags.
LOAD ARTWORKS from network, paths, and iTunes to save time searching for cover art.
CLEAN TAGS OF EXTRA SPACES when opening files - pass this tedious work to Tag Editor.
REMOVE EXTRA CHARACTERS option helps to remove characters like leading digits, text in brackets, and punctuation characters at the start and at the end of tags.
FIX CASE to unify your tags. You can apply Capitalize Every Word, Sentence case, lowercase or UPPERCASE options to entire sheet or selection.
PARSE ITUNES, M3U, XSPF, PLS, ASX, WPL playlists and CUE sheets to open related audio files automatically. To open an iTunes playlist just drag it into Tag Editor window.
TO CONVERT ITUNES RATINGS AND PLAYS into standard tag format select Rating and Plays columns in Tag Editor and choose ‘Edit’ > ‘Load Tags’ > ‘From iTunes’.
TO EXPORT FILES TO ITUNES OR PLAYLIST just choose a related command in ‘File’ > ‘Export To’ menu.
YOU CAN IN MANUAL MODE
EDIT, CUT, COPY / PASTE, CLEAR using single or multiple-selection.
FIND / REPLACE through the entire sheet or within a selection.
TO SET ALBUM ARTWORKS just drop or paste an image or an audio file into selected Artwork cells.
RENAME FILES by typing required name in the cells.
FIX ENCODING feature makes tags readable. You can choose suitable encoding in ‘Edit’ > ‘Fix Encoding’ menu.
EASY AND QUICK TAGGING:
CUSTOMIZE COLUMNS with ‘View’ > ‘Column’ and rearrange them to see required tags & file properties.
MANAGE ROWS by sorting, filtering, and moving them between windows and tabs.
SELECT single cell, multiple cells, columns, rows or entire sheet to apply changes.
CONTROL ALL CHANGES using Revert and Save commands.
LISTEN to TRACKS within the editor using Quick Look.
USE FULL-SCREEN MODE to utilize all desktop space.
USE KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS to manage the app.
Please, email to firstname.lastname@example.org about feature requests or any problems. We always glad to improve our applications for your needs. If you like the Tag Editor, a review on the App Store would be very appreciated.
SUPPORT OF 50+ NEW TAGS:
• New columns of commonly used audio tags, such as Lyrics, Rating, Tracks Total, Media Kind, Category, Is Compilation, Language, Plays, Radio Station, and Tags.
• New columns of other tags are split into Classical, Commerce, Mood, People, Podcast, and Sorting thematic sets for your convenience.
• Classical tag set includes 25 tags, such as Composer, Conductor, Movement, Orchestra, Opus, and others.
• Podcast tag set includes Podcast Category, Media Kind, Description, ID, URL, and Podcast Date tags.
• Commerce tag set includes ASIN, Bar Code, Catalog #, Copyright, ISRC, Publisher tags.
• Mood tag set includes BPM, Energy, Genre, Initial Key, and Mood tags.
• New tags in People set are Arranger, Choir, DJ Mixer, Engineer, Ensemble, Lyricist, Mixer, Original Artist, Original Lyricist, Performer, Producer, and Remixer.
• Sorting tag set includes 12 most popular sort tags, as Sort Artist, Sort Album, and others.
• Columns showing file properties and audio properties are combined into two corresponding sets. Audio Properties set and File Properties set can help with music organizing by displaying up to 15 technical, mostly read-only, attributes.
INTEGRATION WITH ITUNES:
• Import of iTunes playlists with drag-&-drop.
• Import of iTunes Rating and Plays and their conversion into standard audio tag formats.
• Loading of tags from iTunes.
• Export to iTunes playlists.
NEW SUPPORTED FORMATS:
• Import of M3U, PLS, XSPF, ASX, WPL playlists.
• Import of CUE sheets.
• Export to M3U, PLS, XSPF, ASX, WPL playlists.
• Export to CSV and Text files.
PREDEFINED TAG VALUES:
• Genre, Mood, Media Kind, and Language columns allow predefined values selection. For example, Genre column contains ‘Blues’, ‘Brass & Military’, ‘Children’s’, ‘Classical’, ‘Electronic’, ‘Folk, World & Country’, ‘Funk / Soul’, ‘Hip-Hop’, ‘Jazz’, ‘Latin’, ‘Non-Music’, ‘Pop’, ‘Reggae’, ‘Rock’, and ‘Stage & Screen’ predefined values. To select a predefined value click round button in a cell and choose the value from the list.
OTHER NEW FEATURES:
• Window tabs on macOS 10.12 and higher. You can move rows between tabs to help you better organize your music. For example, you could separate an artist tracks into tabs for each artist album.
• New commands ‘Hide Empty Columns’, ‘Show Non-Empty Columns’, and 'Show Default Columns' for easier column management.
• Text mode for the toolbar.
• Support for macOS 10.14 Mojave.
• Improved loading of tags from the network.
• Improvements and fixes for cut/copy/paste functionality.
• Improvements for the toolbar.
• Improvements for stability.
• New icon.
Ratings and Reviews
WOW, this is AWESOME!
This is the best bulk tag editor I have used, so much better than MP3Tag I used to use on my PC, I have since switched to Mac only and could not be happier with this app, it is so easy to drag whole CDs of media from the finder to Tag Editor then select all image column and drag a photo from safari google search image select all my clicking top left corner of the finder window hit save then remove and BOOM... Done! The Find all non-empty columns feature is the best for finding unwanted junk tags etc. The only thing missing is the ability to edit iTunes new M4a tags for the "Clean" "Explicit" tags, but that does work in the beta version, hopefully the app store version will be updated, so if you need that feature go to the Amvidia web site for the beta version. I have found no bugs and have used this app extensively! The find data from file path or from internet works awesome and even can pull in artwork (though I prefer to get that form a google image search, it is much faster than my method so you may like that more than I do). The editor allows you to edit even the file name! Copy, past to and from columns and other apps with ease, click save and its done. There are many useful functions too like reload, revert, replace, move the list goes on and on. If you are on the fence on getting this editor and another our I would look no further, this app has everything you need to edit MP3, M4a and even Wave file tags.
A Must Have App, Changed My Life!!!
After a couple years of searching and wanting to organize my music collection, this app has single handedly helped improve my time by 85%! When I began this project a decade ago, I renamed my music files manually on the file level, and would go back into iTunes and update the file’s metadata tags again. It became such a tedious time sucking experience, this project didn’t last long. Until I came across this App recently, it solved the GAP that I desperately needed. I have tried a few other freeware Apps out there, and none of them performed to the STEALTH and SPEED AS THIS APP HAS! It never crashed, and the updates did exactly how it was supposed to perform. Within a good 2 hours of playing around and cleansing my folders, I was able to shave something that would have costed me 10 months of work (few hours every weekend) down to just 2 hours - based on the # of files and folders I was working with. I give credit where it’s due and this App thus far has been the best I’ve come across. The UE and GUI both are great, intuitive, and learning curve is minimal. I tried it out first with its freeware and withn minutes I figured out how to use it enough to be dangerous. Love this app, keep up the great work developing Tag Editor! 10/10 from me.
I purchased this app to go along with To FLAC Converter software. It does well to edit tags and add artwork. It does a good job of adding tags from the internet but I find where I add my own tags to go along with how I orginaize my music. It is easy to add artwork, and tags for any attributes that you need to change. As a feature, I would like to see the ability to change shortcuts as you are stuck with what is done. I use the highlight column feature the most and you have to hit 3 keys to do that function. Beyond that, it really works well. I use this to play music in my car at high res. CD’s sound to me so much better than MP3’s but FLAC files are the way to go if you want high res audio in your car. Rip to your computer with To FLAC Converter, Orginize with the Tag Editor, and copy to a memory stick for use in the car.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.