Take a Name is a family history app for LDS Church members who want to take their own family names to the temple. It requires a FamilySearch account with access to LDS ordinances.
• Find temple ready ancestors—Take a Name searches the FamilySearch tree for your deceased ancestors and double checks that LDS ordinances are ready for the temple.
• Request LDS ordinances and print temple cards – from your phone!
• Try before you buy, pick your price—Try Take a Name for free! You can purchase the app when you're ready via in-app purchase.
• Less time searching, more time serving—Take a Name typically delivers dozens of temple ready family names in a matter of minutes. It’s genealogy, but easier!
• FamilySearch Certified—Kinpoint is a FamilySearch partner, authorized to submit names for temple work.
• Data integrity—Take a Name performs a detailed set of data checks to provide confidence that an LDS ordinance is temple ready. It also excludes names of ancestors with unresolved duplicates. Take a Name does far more than simply scraping the FamilySearch website for green temples!
Spend time in the temple with your ancestors instead of outside trying to find them.
Genealogy has never been so satisfying!
Recommended update for all users. Significant performance improvements. Overhaul and fix of maps. Support for iOS 12. Various minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
This app has enabled me to take over 250 names to do baptisms over the last few months, and I will surely use it for other temple ordinances when that’s an option. I currently use two LDS accounts to find names for - mine and my stepfather’s - and while this app isn’t built for account hopping, it’s not a big ordeal nonetheless.
In response to an earlier review concerned about the 100-ordinance limit: that’s the number the app will let you have reserved, total. Because I cannot perform ordinances beyond baptism and confirmation yet, it was necessary to unreserve some sealings and such to be able to reserve more baptisms.
I am so grateful this app exists! I will be using the (optional) donate feature very soon. Thank you so much. Many of my ancestors owe you. :)
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the great comments! To add a bit more clarity to the "100-ordinance limit," the app won't actually provide new names if you already have 20 existing reservations matching what you're searching for. So the search limit is actually 20. The "100 limit" is the total number of *existing* reservations the app will even import. If you reserve names from outside the app, for example, the app will import those to help you work on them (print cards, etc.). But if you use FamilySearch's website to reserve, say, 200 names, the app will only import the first 100. You can't actually reach that limit using the app alone. There's a bit more to it than that, but in general (and per FamilySearch's request) the app works very hard to avoid reserving large numbers of names without also completing the ordinances. Thanks again for your comments!
Take a Name is super easy to use. If your family search account is open and you are linked to your generations, this app finds the names of ancestors already on your family lines who are missing ordinances for you. "All of my family history is done" so it's hard to sift through the many ancestral lines to find someone to do work for. This does the hard part of searching! I do a bit of research to make sure the names it finds are accurate and not duplicates or otherwise erroneous. Super easy to reserve the name cards. Also a good tool to see when someone else has added family names to your tree so you can find sources and do additional research. Love this app!
The Missing Link
This App is truly the missing link between Temple Work and Genaeology. Take a Name streamlines hours of manual searching work into one neat, easy search that runs in the background!
My only suggestion for improvement would be to allow for more than 100 search results - perhaps as a paid subscription? My queue is currently full as I do ordinance work that is time consuming, but I could be doing other precursory work in the meantime and would pay a monthly fee to have more or more filtered search results.
Thanks for developing such an incredible tool!!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Kinpoint Inc
- 41.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Kinpoint, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Take a Name App $3.99
- Take a Name App $9.99
- Take a Name App $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.