Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Auto-completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Inline nickname colorization
• Per-channel notification controls
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Powerful filters that can perform commands in response to input
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
• Viewing multiple channels at the same time
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
• [FIXED]: Fixed hardened runtime blocking the loading of custom extensions and inline media modules.
• [FIXED]: Fixed in-app purchases not working correctly by removing them completely.
See textualapp.com/changes for history of changes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best IRC Client
Bar none, this is the best IRC client for macOS. Developer is very responsive and is a great guy.
Beautiful, amazing client
This client is everything I’d hoped for, and more. Its scripting support is great, it has first class support for features that are annoying on other clients (bouncer, encryption, certificate auth, etc), and it’s the perfect client to take advantage of Mac’s amazing Unicode support (which I LOVE). The authors didn’t try to make IRC into something that it’s not (like a file sharing client, or something you can run in your browser, etc) There’s nothing earth shattering about any of the features, but when they all come togehter, it just felt like the client I’d been searching for all these years.
The price was spot on too … it doesn’t take long to get your money’s worth - the developers have proven their commitment to this software, so when the recent v7 upgrade came out (again, reasonably priced), I bought it right away - like other people said, to support further development.
High CPU usage and hangs
On Big Sur Textual recently uses a lot of CPU (~20% minimal) and hangs. It is such a shame since it was a great IRC client.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Codeux Software, LLC
- 11 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires macOS 10.9.5 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Codeux Software, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.