Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Auto-completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Inline nickname colorization
• Per-channel notification controls
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Powerful filters that can perform commands in response to input
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
• Viewing multiple channels at the same time
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
• [CHANGED]: The confirmation dialog for quitting Textual no longer appears unless you are connected to IRC.
• [CHANGED]: Any file that is executable will now be treated as a script instead of files with specific extensions.
• [CHANGED]: The NICKLEN configuration option of RPL_ISUPPORT is no longer enforced due to significant compatibility issues.
• [CHANGED]: Styles bundled with Textual now declare the supported-color-schemes property to define the appearance of scrollbars on versions of macOS that support it.
• [FIXED]: Fixed trust dialog for invalid certificates not appearing when one is encountered.
See textualapp.com/changes for history of changes.
Ratings and Reviews
Keeps crashing High Sierra
Pending resolution, 2/5. It doesn’t (seem to) just work.
On my High Sierra, it keeps crashing, don’t want to spam the devs with “Send report”! :(
Developer Response ,
amacvar, I would love to help you with whatever problem you may be experiencing. Can you please send an e-mail to email@example.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Paid for License - No Response
I recently found this application and thought it has some really good features. I wanted to get back into some IRC stuff, so figured what the heck, it’s only 8 bucks. I paid for it and the payment processed, I got a confirmation screen stating that I would recieve an e-mail in 5-10 minutes (that was 5 days ago). I e-mailed support - no reponse. I decided to join their support channel on IRC and explained my issue. No response from support stafff for channel moderators. A channel member did respond and say that unless I had heard back from certain invidivuals, to just e-mail them. I told him I had already done that. I submitted another support question via their automated form - no reponse. Today (5 days later) I have sent another e-mail. I’m highly dissapointed with the lack of customer service and the fact that they now have my money and have not been able to provide something as simple as a license key….
Just real good stuff, guys.
- Codeux Software, LLC
- 12.3 MB
- Social Networking
OS X 10.9.5 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Codeux Software, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial
- Upgrade from v6 (free)
- Upgrade from v6 $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.