Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Auto-completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Inline nickname colorization
• Per-channel notification controls
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Powerful filters that can perform commands in response to input
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
• Viewing multiple channels at the same time
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
---- Apple Silicon Support
Textual is now distributed as a universal application granting it greater performance and reliability for Apple Silicon Macs.
---- Other Changes
• [FIXED]: Fixed filters not working correctly when a sender is not present in a channel.
• [FIXED]: Fixed user list of previous selection appearing when viewing a parted channel.
• [FIXED]: Fixed a crash that may occur when certificate trust dialog is closed without user interaction.
See textualapp.com/changes for history of changes.
Ratings and Reviews
Best IRC Application for MacOS
There is no equal, save for weechat, on macOS.
But the App store version, specifically, is not supported anymore. Get this program directly from the developers' website (and support them for their hard work).
DCC is broken
DCC works fine on the trial version downloaded direct from the website. The app store version does not work. It just stays in limbo saying "control-click to start" despite having automatically accept enabled. Control-click does not do anything. Suport for DCC resume is the entire reason I purhased this app. Furthermore, the app is no longer supported per their website support page.
Works great on an M1 MacBook Air
It has everything I wanted in an IRC client and is very easy to use.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Codeux Software, LLC
- 14 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Codeux Software, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.