The Berlin Wall divided East and West for 28 years, two months and 28 days. It cut the city in two, ran through buildings, interrupted streets and tore apart families, friends and couples. But where exactly did the Wall run?
The iPhone app 'The Berlin Wall' gives a detailed answer. An interactive map in the app shows the exact location of the Wall. Photos, audio and video clips and texts about the respective site are stored at historically important locations between the Brandenburg Gate and Potsdam Square. A free data package with more information on historically important sites throughout Berlin and Potsdam can be downloaded in the app. The app serves both as an interactive travel guide on the spot and as a general source of information.
- map showing the location of the Wall and sites of interest
- suggestions for Wall tours
- filtering option for historical sites, escapes, traces of the Wall, exhibitions, memorials and border crossings
- the optional Discovery Mode tells you when a historical site is nearby
- personalised tours
- directions to find sites of interest
- public transport connections
The app is based on the website chronik-der-mauer.de and is a joint project by the Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung, Deutschlandradio and the Zentrum für Zeithistorische Forschung Potsdam e.V. "The Berlin Wall" was awarded with the "Politikaward 2011", "digita 2012" and the "Comenius-EduMedia-Siegel 2012".
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. (This is used for Discovery Mode.)
Adjustments for iOS 14
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
So far I really like this. I paid for another similar app "Berlin Wall HD" and this free one is much better. Requests: please complete the drawing of the wall the rest of the way around the city and please release a version for iPad.
Great map and stories
Simple to use, great map that shows route of wall and historic places. Interseting stories. Used this quite a lot when I visited Berlin and found myself in various neigborhoods of the city. Reccomended.
The perfect way to get a real sense of the Wall. Great app.
- Bundeszentrale fuer politische Bildung
- 102.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung, Zentrum für Zeithistorische Forschung, Deutschlandradio
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.