The acclaimed indie game The Curse of Issyos is finally available for iOS and tvOS devices, after years of popular demand. Enjoy this renowned game created by Locomalito, author of other gems such as Cursed Castilla and Super Hydorah, on your big or small screen.
► LevelUp - “A great reconstruction of the action-platform genre of the eighties”.
► Indie Games Plus - “The Curse of Issyos is yet another fantastic example of the man’s love for old games and the care he puts into his work”.
► Destructoid - “It's a hard game, but it feels very fair. It's all about watching and learning, and then skillfully pulling off attacks at the right moment”.
Defkalion was fishing at the quiet blue sea when he heard the voice of the Goddess Athena. “Hurry up”, she said. “The isle of Issyos has been cursed by the Olympus!”
And so, fearing for his daughter Delia, his only family left, the fisherman sails back to his home, where the adventure is about to begin.
The Curse of Issyos is a retro-styled action platformer with nothing but the classics of an old 8-bit game: a good bunch of enemies and bosses, linear and open scroll levels, secrets to discover, and a background story inspired by Greek mythology. It doesn't try to mimic a retro system in particular, but it's coherent with its own limitations in the use of colors, sprites and chip sounds.
● Compatible with MFi, XBox One and PS4 controllers.
● Haptic vibration.
● iCloud support.
● Game Center achievements and leaderboards.
● Play in landscape or portrait orientation.
● Look and feel of a console game from 1987-1988.
● Based on Greek Mythology.
● 30+ soundtrack by Gryzor87.
● 7 levels, 9 bosses and more than 40 unique enemies.
● A secret level that can change the curse of the game.
* Game texts in English only.
- Fixed a bug that prevented leaderboards and achievements from working.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This game freaking rules
I love that this is a retro “pixel” game that “plays by the rules” of actual 8-bit gaming: limited palette, pixels are all the same size, animations take place on a pixel grid, actual “chiptune” soundtrack. A lot of games that try to look like this fail because they aren’t faithful in these ways. The gameplay is smooth and gratifying on a SteelSeries Nimbus on Apple TV. So glad to finally have a great platformer on tvOS. Worth many times its price. I can’t wait to keep playing!
With an MFI this is a classic
If you have and MFI controller than this game is effectively a masterpiece of 2D platforming. Borrowing elements from great games like Castlevania and Metroid (especially Castlevania), and yet avoiding the mistakes of those games, means that this game is essentially “perfect”. Good writing, good level design, and fantastic boss fights. The only downside is the length. I didn’t want it to stop haha.
Great soundtrack as well. If you love old school games from the 80s and 90s then this is a must play.
A Great Old-School Game
If you love classic games such as Castlevania, give this a shot. It controls well, has great retro pixel graphics, and authentic sound. I played this years ago on the PC where it is free but purchased the game for iOS to support the developer.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Abylight SL
- 87.6 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 9.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2020 Abylight Studios SA licensed by Locomalito and Gryzor87
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.