A Math Puzzle game named one of the PAX 10 best indie games of the year! Non-Profit and educational with new levels by famous mathematicians Alex Bellos and James Grime
An evil calculator has its normal arithmetic operators replaced with sadistically obscure functions. Using logic and algebraic puzzle solving, you must work backwards to interpolate them and purge the calculator of its demons.
Non-profit and open-source, The Devil's Calculator is a highly original indie game that's as addicting as it is educational. Accessible to numberphiles and math novices alike, the first 20+ levels are 100% free to play and enjoy along with several DLC levels, authored by famous mathematicians like Alex Bellos, Grant Sanderson, James Grime, Tony Padilla and James Tanton! The game was named a fan favorite of GDWC, and one of the top 10 indie games of 2019 by PAX.
Each level has you decipher the function of a mysterious operator and use it to calculate the number of the beast to progress. Advanced graphing mechanics, countless features and simple, yet innovative level design provide considerable depth to the gameplay. Players unlock the ability to create their own levels and play challenges others have created - including free DLC levels crafted by the game's creators, educators and mathematicians. With hand drawn artwork and a charming story, the Devil's Calculator is a genuinely fun and gratifying puzzle experience. The game was celebrated at the MOVES conference by the National Museum of Mathematics in New York City.
Cinq-Mars Media is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization developing technology to support scientific research related to human safety and education, and to make such technology and research available on a charitable basis.
- New DLC by famous mathematician and Guardian Puzzle Contributor Alex Bellos and 3Blue1Brown's Grant Sanderson
- New level enhancements to celebrate the game's featuring at PAX 10 and at the National Museum of Mathematics
- Deeper integration in official collaboration with Wolfram Alpha on many different types of integrations including improved Wolfram Cloud support and MathWorld references
- Performance enhancements along with a wide range of major bug fixes, UI optimizations and level design improvements
- Fully offline calculator and guide streamlined and integrated within the app
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing puzzles confusing progress saving
I cannot overstate how much I love the concept and the puzzles.
There’s one concern I have however. My progress seems to be undone somewhat arbitrarily. I was working through the 50s, and when I booted up the game today, my progress had reset to level 35.
There seems to be no easy way to check the progression and that’s frustrating when it gets reset as well. Thank you for the game.
Devils Calculator Diabolical!
If you like math and puzzles this is for you. Definitely strains your brain and yet I am willing to keep trying.
Great game that loses progress
Lost progress again from 38 to 33. iPhone XS Max, iOS 12.4.1.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Cinq-Mars Media
- 80.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Cinq-Mars Media
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version of Game $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.