Each week over 1.5 million subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them with The Economist app.
Free to download. New users can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. Users on iOS 10.2 or below will need to update their phone to access the app. Otherwise The Economist classic app is available to enjoy our weekly edition.
Already a subscriber? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist details.
The Economist is a trusted, independent, finishable filter on world affairs, offering in-depth analysis of business, finance, economics, science, technology, arts and culture. Whether it’s the latest developments in the Trump administration, the rise of automation in the workplace, the economic impact of environmental change or the case for legalising drugs, The Economist has it covered.
• A morning briefing to prepare you for the day ahead (Economist Espresso)
• A daily selection of curated articles, combining news updates with highlights from the weekly issue
• Full access to the weekly edition of The Economist (digital and audio versions)
As well as full access to the weekly edition, the app includes additional daily updates with articles from The Economist along with Economist Espresso, a morning briefing highlighting the most important things you need to know each day. All of the articles from the weekly magazine are available to listen to in audio, along with selected daily updates
FREE TO DOWNLOAD
Full app features:
• The weekly edition available every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Daily Picks: a daily selection of curated articles
• Economist Espresso: a morning briefing published every weekday, and on Saturday
• Notifications of the latest cover stories and key articles
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarking to allow users to save articles for later, or create their own collection
• Support for iPhone and iPad
• All users on iOS 11.2 or above can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. At the end of the introductory term, the subscription will automatically renew onto a quarterly subscription at the standard price
• Annual subscriptions are also available
You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Introductory offers, annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours before the end of the current period, at a cost of £44.99/$45.99/€69.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £159.99/$189.99/€229.99 (for an annual subscription)
• You can manage auto-renewal of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
-Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent app, but...
I absolutely love the redesign and consolidation of the various economist apps into one. The only issue I’m having is the ability to access the current edition on Friday morning (central-time USA reader here) - though it shows that there is a new “current edition”, it sometimes takes upwards of thirty minutes for the app to properly register the new edition. Whenever I tap it, it just takes me back to last week’s release. Also, the auto-download feature of the new audio doesn’t seem to ever work for me.
Other than those minor inconveniences, I have no complaints! Keep up the great work and reporting!
Please fix audio playlist customisation.
I used to love listening to The Economist audio edition until a particular feature was removed. I used to be able to organise my audio playlist in a specific order; the world this week, then the business section, then finance, and afterwards a few select articles chosen among the remaining sections. I was able to go through the edition and organise everything once, then start and stop listening with the confidence that the playlist remained in the order I prioritised.
Now whenever I add to the audio playlist it's always ordered in the way The Economist is (The World This Week, Leaders, Letters, etc) and I can arrange the playlist to my priority, which I used to do for the past few years....now I don't even want to bother with The Economist at all since I now have to either keep track of what I listened to manually and/or keep adding/removing to the playlist in order to listen while I'm doing other tasks. Very unfortunate. It would be VERY much appreciated if the feature to customise the order of the audio playlist is made available once again. Thank you.
Improving, but still many bugs
I appreciate that they are continuing to improve this app in impactful ways, such as fixing image downloads and adding bigger font sizes (which I use on the treadmill) but there remain many issues.
- I wish I could download all the images in advance for offline access, like I can for the text and the audio, and like I could with the old app. At least the image streaming works better after the latest fixes.
-It is a hue data hog and increased my phone bill, I had to turn off cellular data for this app. They download three sizes of every article’s cover image, for example.
- Audio needs a bit of love. Needs a 1.25x setting which would be the sweet spot for speed of playback. It frequently starts playing at the wrong speed. 15-second skip back should be the default back button for use in my car, rather than skip to the previous article. Narration sounds good, but could be edited and abridged a bit (like not narrating parentheticals) to better fit the slower format.
- It often doesn’t remember where I was reading. I usually am a couple weeks behind reading back issues, but it keeps trying to start me on this week rather than continuing where I left off.
- When re-finding my place, Clicking on the hamburger menu to find sections and then clicking on the section often doesn’t work.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 56.6 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Three month subscription $55.99
- One year subscription $189.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.