The Economist is independent journalism for independent thinkers. Start your one-month free trial now.*
We offer noise-cancelling journalism, deciphering the global news and trends beyond the headlines. With in-depth reporting on the latest news in American politics, technology, finance and geopolitics, we provide comprehensive insights, fact-checked coverage and specialist opinion from our correspondents in every region of the world.
For more than 180 years, we have brought our audiences the confidence to make sense of what matters in the news. Stay ahead with daily updates, tune in to our podcasts for award-winning conversations and enjoy the full weekly edition of The Economist to read or listen to on-the-go. Whether it’s news on business, science or global affairs, The Economist offers clear perspectives on a complex world.
Download The Economist app today and join the people who know.
Key subscriber benefits
- Full access to The Economist app and economist.com—global news and insights updated daily
- The World in Brief—a faster way to understand the stories behind the news
- Economist Podcasts+—award-winning, noise-cancelling podcasts
- Weekly edition—read online, listen to narrated articles or download to enjoy offline
- Audio queue to create a custom listening list of the news
- Bookmarks to save articles to read later
- Easy reading with adjustable text size and dark mode
• Subscribe in-app and take advantage of a free trial. Choose from the following subscription plans:
Digital Annual—1-month free trial
Digital Monthly—1-month free trial
Podcasts+ Annual—7-day free trial
Podcasts+ Monthly—7-day free trial
• At the end of the trial, the subscription will automatically renew monthly or annually depending on the plan you chose. Your account will be charged 24 hours before the renewal date.
• You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by Apple. Payment is charged to your App Store account upon confirmation of purchase
• You can cancel your subscription in your App Store subscription settings at least 24 hours before the end of your free trial or current billing period to stop auto-renewal
* Some countries may offer alternative pricing plans.
This update resolves a problem that caused the app to crash in a small number of cases when visiting the home tab
Ratings and Reviews
Great App, fantastic content and journalism.
I’m new to The Economist after a suggestion from a relative. My goal was to be more purposeful and engaged in the content that I consume and break the habit of endless scrolling of news headlines via Twitter, Google’s and Apple’s customized news outlets. I find myself actually wanting to read the content published by The Economist rather than skimming headlines. I enjoy learning about what’s going on around the world rather than being inundated by insignificant headlines that make many of the other news outlets’ front pages just to get clicks. It’s a completely different experience. For times when I can’t read the content, like while driving, or if I want to consume some of their longer form content but want to give my eyes a rest from screen fatigue, it’s nice they offer users the option to listen to the content as well. The daily Espresso emails are short bursts of content in the AM while I have my coffee and then throughout the day I can read further the content that I’m interested in. Thanks The Economist!
Suggestion for future app improvements:
(1) Give users the ability to double tap the “Home” button at the bottom to quickly jump to the top of the page.
(2) Give users the ability to better organize their Saved content. Either give them ways to create folders to organize their content, or the capability to apply “tags” to the content.
Very unbiased, Economics is the perspective
I love this mag. I mean I really do (Econ Major at UCO btw). The only complaint I have is the excess of ads despite me paying the full price. Otherwise I think that this is the most worthwhile news source to date. A lot of people used to consider The Economist to be a conservative newspaper, but truly I tell you that it has done a 180 in 2020, they really just use economics alone as their guiding subject. They were supporting the vaccine when it was first out and mostly a political issue. They don’t pander to leftists or conservatives very often or really at all. Also they take good critical letters from respected individuals in their letters section. I truly enjoy disagreeing with an article and then finding someone smarter than me who wrote exactly why it is wrong, I could go on and on about this magazine. I love the formatting (shorter less fiddly articles, with all of the facts and as little opinion as possible) and I’m definitely a lifelong customer as long as that Economist quality is retained. I also really enjoy how the economist never says we think that (…) they always say this is the way to fix it or just state things how they are based on economic indications. There is actual evidence to back up economics, rather than some crazy conservative conspiracy theory, or a radical leftist rant. I don’t think they’re always right but this leads to a level of honesty. Excellent customer service also.
News, but better.
I never personally thought I’d be writing a review for a news app. I’m a 21 year old college student and generally skeptical of news organizations. After taking a class with a heavy usage of Economist articles, I see why my professor uses them in his lesson plans: they’re factual. After multiple months of contemplating whether or not to get a subscription, I finally pulled the trigger. The app is almost seamless, minus a few features I wish I could have in the app like a search option and a viewing history for easier access to show my friends the articles (I wish I could give you all a half star less for this, but I’ll go with 5 stars because I enjoy the content so much). I feel as though I can put my trust in The Economist because they deliver the news in a digestible and palatable way. I enjoy being able to audibly listen to articles and understanding what’s going on in the world.
If you’re tired of traditional American news companies like NBC, Fox, CBS, CNN, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and many others, then try out The Economist. The Economist offers a new level of detail, honesty, factuality, and trust that I appreciate when it comes to news reporting. I intend to resubscribe for more after my introductory subscription. The Economist (as far as I understand) does not do editorials or opinion pieces. They offer well thought out news reporting and a deeper understanding of current events.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 48.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2023
- In-App Purchases
- Digital Monthly $20.90
- Three month subscription $55.99
- Digital Annual $209.00
- Podcasts+ Annual $49.00
- Podcasts+ Monthly $4.90
- One year subscription $209.00