Best friends Arina and Frendt fall into a series of vibrant, dreamlike island gardens peppered with everyday objects from their childhood. Together they embark on an emotional journey that examines the significance of their friendship: the memories they’ve built, what must be let go, and what should never be left behind.
Lost in a mysterious realm where cause and effect are malleable, the friends find that time flows in all directions. Manipulate time to solve puzzles and reach the apex of each isle. Follow the duo as they unpack and explore their significant moments spent together, lighting up constellations and illuminating threads of a bittersweet narrative.
- The Guardian
“A must-have title for anyone who enjoys puzzle games.”
- Gaming Trend
“An incredibly clever and frighteningly intricate puzzle formula.”
- Nintendo Life
"Full of creative touches and small magical moments."
"A magical journey."
“You really need to play it.’
• Vibrant, storybook-inspired art style
• Dreamy tale of adventure, friendship and growing-up
• Gorgeous single player experience with a meaningful personal story
• Bespoke ingenious puzzles require the manipulation of time to solve
• Accessible design; simple controls, and no text, speech, time pressure or complex UI
• Relaxing, ambient soundtrack by feature-artist Tim Shiel
• Play in widescreen landscape or tall portrait view
• Seventeen achievements to find and complete
• No internet required. No data tracking. No in-app purchases. No ads.
• 'Apple Design Award' Winner - Apple 2019
• 'Mac Game of the Year' Winner - Apple 2018
• 'Game of the Year' Winner - AGDA 2018
• 'Most Innovative Game' Winner - Game Two 2018
• ‘Best Technology’ Winner - Sense Of Wonder Night 2018
• 'Visual Excellence' Finalist - IGF 2018
• 'Best of MIX' Winner - MIX Seattle 2018
• 'Game Design Excellence' Winner - BIC Fest 2017
• Plus another twenty industry award nominations
• 'Final Selection' of more than 16 international festivals
Stream or buy the original and extended soundtrack of The Gardens Between at https://awal.lnk.to/glowingpains
Thank you everyone for playing. We really appreciate the positive feedback and all the heartfelt stories you've shared.
We hope you enjoy this update for iOS 13:
- Silky smooth framerates on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max (60 FPS), and absolutely pixel perfect resolutions.
- Performance improvements for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max mean they now also achieve 60 FPS!
- Play with your PS4 or Xbox controller via Bluetooth thanks to iOS 13.
- Support for iPad OS.
- Fixed a few minor menu bugs.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The Gardens Between is pure magic. Two friends are transported to a cluster of surreal, spiraling islands populated with treasures from childhood memories. An elegant control system lets you manipulate time to help the pair navigate beautiful puzzles that evoke growth, loss, and friendship. A contemplative game that rewards observation and curiosity, The Gardens Between's inspired creativity is full of heart.
Beautiful Design at its finest
The gardens between is a gorgeous and inventive puzzle game with clever time bending mechanics. Only ten or so levels in and even though it hasn’t become very difficult yet every time a puzzle comes together I get the biggest smile and find myself repeating each time “okay this game is really cool.” Just realizing the solution then watching the pieces fall into place is so satisfying and that satisfaction is only bolstered by the lovely animations and an incredibly strong art direction (seriously in love with this art style!) Very thoughtful level design; beautiful, winding mountains covered with household objects that tower over you as you ascend the summit, manipulating time to position falling objects or jumping boxes, orchestrating a “right place right time” flow of events. All of it services a very satisfying gameplay loop and a clear sense of place; stooped in nostalgia and our relationships with the passage of time. Besides some minor hitching on level start-up and that it makes my iPad (6th gen) really hot pretty quickly, the game runs well and the touch controls are good and simple; not a bunch of different inputs and not finicky in any way. I could go on about how great the sound design and music are (which they really really are superb) and how much I like the subtle, wordless storytelling/atmosphere building, but I’ll stop here and heavily implore you buy this game and experience it for yourself.
Excellent for Puzzlers and Art Fanatics
An immersive experience first, and a puzzle game second.
Amazing and worth it.
Art: 10 / 10
Puzzles: 8 / 10
Music: 9 / 10
Controls: 10 / 10
Overall: 5 Stars
I never review games, but this one was just too great to stay quiet about! I played this on my iPad Pro 11” (with comfortable headphones) and could not be happier with the overall gameplay experience. TGB’s colorful art style, paired with its atmospheric sound design and minimal touch controls, creates an immersive experience that’s perfect for the mobile platform. Everything looks, feels, and sounds just right on the iPad.
The game’s puzzles and level-design are also quite good. While I can’t say that any of the puzzles completely blew my mind, TGB certainly offers its fair share of twists and challenges in about 20 levels. If you’re an extreme puzzle-gamer, you probably won’t find yourself getting stuck very often, but chances are you’ll still have a great time discovering the game’s progressively complex mechanics.
All in all, if you love art, puzzles, and immersive experiences, this is the game for you. The Gardens Between isn’t an impossible puzzle game that you would play to push your brain muscles to their breaking point, but it is a stimulating and imaginative experience that’s great for winding down at the end of a long day. For $5, it’s an absolute steal.
Buy this game.
- THE VOXEL AGENTS PTY. LTD.
- 756.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © The Voxel Agents 2019
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.