The Gardens Between 4+
Fall Into A Surreal World
THE VOXEL AGENTS PTY. LTD.
Best friends Arina and Frendt fall into a series of vibrant, dreamlike island gardens peppered with everyday objects from their childhood. Together they embark on an emotional journey that examines the significance of their friendship: the memories they’ve built, what must be let go, and what should never be left behind.
Lost in a mysterious realm where cause and effect are malleable, the friends find that time flows in all directions. Manipulate time to solve puzzles and reach the apex of each isle. Follow the duo as they unpack and explore their significant moments spent together, lighting up constellations and illuminating threads of a bittersweet narrative.
- The Guardian
“A must-have title for anyone who enjoys puzzle games.”
- Gaming Trend
“An incredibly clever and frighteningly intricate puzzle formula.”
- Nintendo Life
"Full of creative touches and small magical moments."
"A magical journey."
“You really need to play it.’
• Vibrant, storybook-inspired art style
• Dreamy tale of adventure, friendship and growing-up
• Gorgeous single player experience with a meaningful personal story
• Bespoke ingenious puzzles require the manipulation of time to solve
• Accessible design; simple controls, and no text, speech, time pressure or complex UI
• Relaxing, ambient soundtrack by feature-artist Tim Shiel
• Play in widescreen landscape or tall portrait view
• Seventeen achievements to find and complete
• No internet required. No data tracking. No in-app purchases. No ads.
• 'Apple Design Award' Winner - Apple 2019
• 'Mac Game of the Year' Winner - Apple 2018
• 'Game of the Year' Winner - AGDA 2018
• 'Most Innovative Game' Winner - Game Two 2018
• ‘Best Technology’ Winner - Sense Of Wonder Night 2018
• 'Visual Excellence' Finalist - IGF 2018
• 'Best of MIX' Winner - MIX Seattle 2018
• 'Game Design Excellence' Winner - BIC Fest 2017
• Plus another twenty industry award nominations
• 'Final Selection' of more than 16 international festivals
Stream or buy the original and extended soundtrack of The Gardens Between at https://awal.lnk.to/glowingpains
• Sounds can now play backwards in reverse time. It sounds really cool putting the Jenga tower back together :)
• New bespoke haptics sensations on iPhone let you feel what Arina and Frendt are experiencing: the deep rumble of thunder, the ephemeral wisp of light, the clunk of the lantern smacking stone.
• Graphical refinements make the game look better than ever, especially from the unreasonable amount of time we spent adjusting the reflection shaders. It looks sublime!
• Responsive triggers on the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller. Feel time itself push back when you're up against an obstacle.
• PlayStation 5 DualSense controller colours match the garden.
• Support for Apple Silicon in the M1 iPad Pro, and support for iPhone 13 and 13 Pro. Runs beautifully at 60fps without breaking a sweat.
• Minor improvements include better game controller and iPad keyboard support, more responsive iCloud syncing enabling you to switch devices seamlessly, usability improvements, and bugs fixed.
We love reading your reviews, especially to learn how many of you are touched by this beautiful story. It means so much to us. Thank you for playing and sharing your experiences!
Is there a friend or loved one you haven't spoken to in a long time? Reach out to them and say 'hi'.
Ratings and Reviews
The Gardens Between is pure magic. Two friends are transported to a cluster of surreal, spiraling islands populated with treasures from childhood memories. An elegant control system lets you manipulate time to help the pair navigate beautiful puzzles that evoke growth, loss, and friendship. A contemplative game that rewards observation and curiosity, The Gardens Between's inspired creativity is full of heart.
Beautiful Design at its finest
The gardens between is a gorgeous and inventive puzzle game with clever time bending mechanics. Only ten or so levels in and even though it hasn’t become very difficult yet every time a puzzle comes together I get the biggest smile and find myself repeating each time “okay this game is really cool.” Just realizing the solution then watching the pieces fall into place is so satisfying and that satisfaction is only bolstered by the lovely animations and an incredibly strong art direction (seriously in love with this art style!) Very thoughtful level design; beautiful, winding mountains covered with household objects that tower over you as you ascend the summit, manipulating time to position falling objects or jumping boxes, orchestrating a “right place right time” flow of events. All of it services a very satisfying gameplay loop and a clear sense of place; stooped in nostalgia and our relationships with the passage of time. Besides some minor hitching on level start-up and that it makes my iPad (6th gen) really hot pretty quickly, the game runs well and the touch controls are good and simple; not a bunch of different inputs and not finicky in any way. I could go on about how great the sound design and music are (which they really really are superb) and how much I like the subtle, wordless storytelling/atmosphere building, but I’ll stop here and heavily implore you buy this game and experience it for yourself.
Excellent for Puzzlers and Art Fanatics
An immersive experience first, and a puzzle game second.
Amazing and worth it.
Art: 10 / 10
Puzzles: 8 / 10
Music: 9 / 10
Controls: 10 / 10
Overall: 5 Stars
I never review games, but this one was just too great to stay quiet about! I played this on my iPad Pro 11” (with comfortable headphones) and could not be happier with the overall gameplay experience. TGB’s colorful art style, paired with its atmospheric sound design and minimal touch controls, creates an immersive experience that’s perfect for the mobile platform. Everything looks, feels, and sounds just right on the iPad.
The game’s puzzles and level-design are also quite good. While I can’t say that any of the puzzles completely blew my mind, TGB certainly offers its fair share of twists and challenges in about 20 levels. If you’re an extreme puzzle-gamer, you probably won’t find yourself getting stuck very often, but chances are you’ll still have a great time discovering the game’s progressively complex mechanics.
All in all, if you love art, puzzles, and immersive experiences, this is the game for you. The Gardens Between isn’t an impossible puzzle game that you would play to push your brain muscles to their breaking point, but it is a stimulating and imaginative experience that’s great for winding down at the end of a long day. For $5, it’s an absolute steal.
Buy this game.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- THE VOXEL AGENTS PTY. LTD.
- 968.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Game Controller
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © The Voxel Agents 2019
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.