VL2+CSD presents a bilingual Storybook app for deaf children
• Interactive and bilingual ASL/English storybook app designed for visual learners, especially deaf children between the ages of 3 and 7, and their families.
• Based on a classic Russian story, the app covers storytelling in sign language and print.
The classic Slavic folk tale “The Giant Turnip” takes on new life as a tool for bilingual education of deaf and hard of hearing children! Through this story of a grandpa and his family’s quest to pull out the giant turnip, the young reader can achieve early exposure to bilingualism and improve their language and literacy development.
• U.S. Project Directors: Alexandra Karamanova and Robert Siebert
• Russia Project Directors: Alla Mallabiu and Zoya Boytseva
• Illustrator: Alexei Svetlov http://alexeisvetlov.com/
• Storytellers: Robert Siebert (ASL) and Vera Shamaeva (RSL)
• Video Production: CSD Creative http://www.csd.org/creative/
• Art Production: Melissa Malzkuhn
• In partnership with: Ya Tebya Slyshu: http://ihearyou.ru/
• Special thanks to Dr. Melissa Herzig and Melissa Malzkuhn of the National Science Foundation Science of Learning Center on Visual Language and Visual Learning at Gallaudet University http://www.vl2storybookcreator.com/
This project is made possible by the support of the US-Russia Social Expertise Exchange. The opinions, findings and conclusions stated herein are those of the author[s] and do not necessarily reflect the views of the US-Russia Social Expertise Exchange.”
Updated code framework
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Communication Service for the Deaf, INC
- 1 GB
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 CSD
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.